H4 LED Headlight

I am going to 12 volt on my Safari for better lighting, 12 volt electronic speedo, ect. I just got a H4, dual beam led headlight bulb. It is 16/25 watt and makes a lot of light. I can't seem to find an H4 conversion reflector for 4-1/2 inch lights so I am putting a 5-3/4 inch housing on and using this bulb. I have mounted it in a 7 inch to try it, and I was quite impressed. The bulb is available on ebay for 40 bux and the headlight shell assembly is 40-50 bux from our suppliers. There may be an issue of room for the bulb, because the bulb has a small fan built on the back inside an aluminum housing.

I don't have the bulb in front of me right now but I will get the dimensions of it in the next post so others may see if it will fit their application. When the housing comes I will post pictures also.

This light unit overcomes the focus limitations of LEDs with no reflector.

Pete

Re: H4 LED Headlight

Not bashing on you but why would you spend $80-90 on a headlight...when you can get halogen bulbs from walmart or anywhere that sells car parts for like $20 and they fit the average moped headlight bucket?

I don't see the best at night and this is the most luminous flux available per watt. I want to have high and low beam when the light is bright enough to require it, which this is. Also 2 beams are great to have when one fails. The LED light will turn on at 8 volts with no reduction in output. When the Halogen bulb may not even turn on at 8 volts. The LED is rated for 50,000 hours and the Halogen 1500 or less. All the CEV lights I have are sealed beam so I would have to replace the lens/reflector anyway so a quality bulb can be used. The MB5 forks on my Safari are too wide for a 4-1/2 inch light with the mounts on the forks, the 5-3/4 inch is a much better fit. The regular walmart halogen has a color temperature of 3200 degrees and the LED is 6000, making the halogen look brown.

A35 watt Xenon light is about 2600 lumens, the 35 watt Halogen is about 700 lumens, and the 25 watt LED is rated at 2000 lumens.

I replace the H3/H7 car driving light bulbs at least every 4 months on my girlfriends car, china bulbs are not as reliable as china LEDs. I will post some pics soon.

Pete

One more thing, the 5-3/4 inch reflector is much more optically correct for beam focus than the old moped lights.

Peter

Here are a couple pics of the light on high beam. The high beam is running at about 1.5 amps at 12 volts. If my math is correct it is about 18 watts.

Pete

DSCF3977.JPG
DSCF3978.JPG
DSCF3979.JPG
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account