Re: aaaah ... success !

Fred /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Matt sez >

Also I was wondering if you think speeds of 40mph could push more air into the air filter ?

Kind of like an air ram on a motorcycle.

Do you think having the scoop face forward would make a difference? I'm guessing no but I thought I'd ask.

I'd say no... the ram-air scoops on fast streetbikes are known to only start to have an effect at speeds nearing 100mph.. and above... when they start to build positive pressure from the air piling into the airbox.

There are modern fast bikes that still don't use it either... and they are still verrry fast.

So... 'ram-air' is overrated and somewhat of a sales gimmick.

There is also another benefit that might be more important than the 'ram-air effect... that most people don't realize.

Riding around at 'not too fast' speeds .. leaves these motors sucking HOT air pre-heated by the motor and forward mounted radiator... having these 'ram-air' ducts means they are sucking un-heated (much cooler) air from the front of the bike.

Cooler air means more HP.

That may be as important as the 'ram' effect of positive pressure that occurs at higher speeds.

So.. I wouldn't bother with attempting a ram air scoop for a 40 mph scooter.

Pics of my exhaust and baffle ?

I have no pics.

I don't have a digi-camera.

The pipe is like any basic 2 stroke expansion chamber shape .. (a snake that swallowed a rat)... with one diff... because of its length.. I attached the 'stinger' (the exit pipe) at the bottom of the large diameter... (instead of the end like normal).

So what would normally be the 'exit' is a closed-off end.

The baffle is simply a 1/8th inch dia rod with 4 flat washers welded to it at diff spots... it slides inside the stinger.

Without it its just too loud... with it its 'medium loud'... still not as quiet as a stock ped or scooter.

Actually.. my old baffle made many years ago fell out the other day.. I couldn't find it... so I had to make a new one yesterday.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  aaaah ... success !Topic by: Fred Fred 05/26/02 10:21PM
  Re: aaaah ... success !Re: Matt Wilson Matt Wilson 05/26/02 10:43PM
  Re: aaaah ... success !Re: Matt Wilson Matt Wilson 05/26/02 10:52PM
  Re: aaaah ... success !Re: Fred Fred 05/26/02 11:07PM
  Re: aaaah ... success !Re: vapor vapor 05/27/02 12:31PM
  Re: aaaah ... success !Re: Fred Fred 05/27/02 01:42PM
  Re: aaaah ... success !Re: Fred Fred 05/27/02 01:51PM
  Re: aaaah ... success !Re: david f martin david f martin 05/26/02 11:06PM
  Re: aaaah ... success !Re: Matt Wilson Matt Wilson 05/27/02 01:20PM
  Re: aaaah ... success !Re: Fred Fred 05/27/02 01:45PM
  Re: aaaah ... success !Re: Matt Wilson Matt Wilson 05/27/02 01:56PM
  Re: aaaah ... success !Re: Fred Fred 05/27/02 02:08PM
  Re: aaaah ... success !Re: Matt Wilson Matt Wilson 05/28/02 01:40PM
  Re: aaaah ... success !Re: Fred Fred 05/28/02 02:43PM
  Re: aaaah ... success !Re: Matt Wilson Matt Wilson 05/28/02 06:56PM
  PipesRe: Fred Fred 05/28/02 07:52PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account