Now I've done it! DAMMIT!!

well, as of now, my infamous 1978 Puch Kromag is in critical condition! I was riding it around when the engine started making a high pitched whistle. I knew that from past experience that meant only one thing: the long bolts that held the cylinder together got loose, therefor making the whistling sound from the ever-so-small crack! Solution: Simple! Tighten the bolts! So I drove into my ped repair shop (AKA my back yard) to tighten them. I started tightening the bolts when I realized that they weren't tightening but just spinning in place! Obviously, they were stripped. Solution: Go out and buy some more. So that's what I did. I came home with the bran new bolts, and started to screw them in. Again-g, they wouldn't tighten! HOW COULD THAT BE?!? Those are bran new!! Then it hit me like a cement truck! unlike the outside (bolts) being stripped, which i could easily replace, i stripped the inside! (engine) which would be a little more costly to replace! I don't know what to do!! I'M PANICING!! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!! I can feel the ped getting sad when I turn on the lawn mower. He misses his ability to run. I need some advice (or a new engine, but that ain't gonna happen) so please offer it if you can. <sniff-sniff> I think I'm gonna cry!! Thanx, Rimas!

Re: Now I've done it! DAMMIT!!

Easy buddy. Slow,deep breaths....There ya go.

I'm certainly no expert with mopeds, I'll leave that up to folks like Fred, Ron and Ike.

But I have had stripped out bolt holes fixed on other machines with a Helicoil. It looks sorta like a spring that goes into the hole and gives the bolt something to "bite"against.

I have no idea whether this would be effective in your case but hey, it's a starting point. If nothing else maybe it will at least provide a few, comforting hours of false hope!

Sebastian /

ok, stripped bolts huh? had a ped once the whole thing was stripped. but anyway, you can go buy a Tap and Die and re thread the stripped internal thread. or have someone who knows what they are doing do it for you.

Ron Brown /

Rimas,

Listen to Steve, helicoils are the way to go and any motorcycle or small engine shop should be able to help.

Your threads will be much better than new.

Also, mave sure there are no metal shavings in the crankcase.

Ron

InfectedBootSector /

I know where I can get you a new Kromag and an extra motor for 275$.

Helicoils eh? Sounds like a good idea. Now, since I don't know CRAP aboud those... you'll have to give me some more info...

The problem is...I don't know anyone who knows what they're doing!

I'm listening! What's the catch? That sounds like a REALLY good deal! But what... is it completely busted or something? Please write more!! I'm interested!

Ron Brown /

Rimas,

Go to any auto parts, most hardware stores or any place that repairs machinery and tell them you need to Helicoil something.

Or try an internet search for helicoil.

Ron

Alright, I'll try that. You think the local Autozone would do it, or should I try something along the lines of Pep Boys? Or mabey even the mechanic at the nearest gas station?

Ron Brown /

Any of the above except that auto parts will most likely just sell a kit, a mechanic may do it for you.

Cool thanks! So I guess there's hope for my ped getting that speed kit afterall!! YEAH!

david f martin /

See if you can tell how far the bolts go into the crankcase, and make a mark on one of the bolts, then take it to the auto parts store (also, you might check out the hardware section of the yellow pages for "fasteners").

Mechanical stuff isn't black magic. You just have to jump in and get your hands dirty, and if you don't understand something, ask questions. The only truly stupid questions are the ones not asked.

david

go buy 4 new cylinder studs

go2 mopedwarehouse.com. and order 4 new cylinder head studs, they have them for the Maxi's engine, i dunno about others. i did the same thing on my Tomos, and just replaced the studs. once you have the piston/cylinder off put vise grips on the ends of the old studs and unscrew them, they unscrew from the crankcase, then just screw the new studs in where the old ones came out of, and put 2 of the cylinder head nuts on the end of each and lock them 2gether and tighten the top nut to tighten down the studs (remove them after you tighten each stud of course!). i would think this would be a lot easier and more reliable than having the threads on the exsisting studs re tapped or helicoiled.

-Garret

Re: go buy 4 new cylinder studs

Ron Brown /

Garret,

I am not sure what you did to your studs, but if you stripped the threads on the steel studs without stripping the aluminum crankcase, you are a better man than I.

Rimas' problem is that he has stripped the hole in the crankcase where the studs screw in. A helicoil allows you to tap the hole larger, then use the helicoil to reduce it to the original size. As a bonus, you now have a steel threaded hole which is unlikely to strip again.

Ron

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account