striped threads

I need some help. On my cylinder head the bolts threads got stripped and I can't get the nut s off. I can't reach it with my hand and there's no way to cut it off. does anyone know what I can do?

Re: striped threads

Ron Brown /

Seth,

Are you saying that the nuts turn but do not unscrew? If so, how many?

Ron

it's only one nut on the top right, and yes it turns but doesn't unsrew. I have no clue when this happened or how.

thanks for any help

Ron Brown /

Seth,

Try to get a wedge of some kind between the head and the cylinder, or between the cylinder and the crankcase. Hopefully, this will help the nut to walk up the stud.

If you have to apply pressure to the fins, be carefull, they break off easily.

Ron

ok. I'll do that and tell you how it works.

thanks for the help

Sebastian /

buy a manual for your moped (if you need to), dismount the engine and cut the bolts off, then get new parts and re-mount it

ok, I tried to use a screw driver but it didn't work but I'm still trying more things to get it off. Does anyone have any other ideas?

thanks

if the nut turns then the tread is stripped it should come off the way ron describbed are you using enough force on the screwdriver or is the nut rounded and out of shape if so you may be able to heat up a socked the next size down and tap it on the nut and undo it what bike is it any way

it's a Tomos Bullet TT. I tried wit the screwdriver for like 30 min and ait just won't come off. I went out and bought a bit for the frill for ginding but that is my last resort and I really don't want to grind off the nut. But yeah i used alot of force with the screwdriver and it just stays.

Thanks for any help

chuck russo va /

un bolt the rest of the head and try to pry it away from the cylinder, then buy a new stud that connects the cylinder and head to the bottom end

thats the only thing i can think of, if u cant pry it off hack saw it off and buy a new stud i think they are under 5 bucks at mopeds mpg in merrifield

ok. I guess I'm just gonna have to hack it off then. I'm just going to take into George and have him look at it for me.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account