Okay, so today I cleaned off as much dirt as I could from the engine. I found that it was the restricted 1hp model, so I dremeled the plug out of the intake manifold, which helped it run a lot better. It was originally 4 stroking at WOT, removing the restrictor helped that a lot. Stock top speed was 20-21mph, due to the restriction and a 12T front sprocket. I also removed the head gasket for a touch more compression. Today I got it up to 28mph on a slight downhill, woooooooo! I'm trying not to ride it until I get new tires and can upjet the carb, it's just so damn fun to ride. I have a slight air leak somewhere, so I need to look into that. Tomorrow I'll probably pull the head off and make sure the surface is perfectly clean and retorque it. I'm almost 100% sure the leak is there.
My goals for this are to keep it nice and reliable with good gas mileage, but more powerful so that it can cruise at 35mph on my way to work in the mornings. A bit more style would be nice also. I just put in a big order last night from treatland:
new tires (michelin gazelle, 2.25 front 2.75 rear) and tubes
K&N style air filter
new chain, petcock, rear view mirror, and a bunch of jets
larger front sprocket
I'm pretty confident that these mods and better gearing can get me up to at least 35 on the flats. Hopefully 40. I'm looking forward to it. As of now I have no plans on increasing the displacement any, I just want to keep the mods mild. I've caught the bug now though, so if I manage to "accidentally" find another moped around here for cheap I'll probably get it and build up a 99cc monster.
Parts should be here by about Friday, so next weekend I'll be putting this stuff on and learning about tuning first hand! Oh, and my new helmet should be here soon, too. Best to keep brains inside the skull.