Hello From Texas! 1953 Kreidler K50

Justin Shepherd /

Hello everyone,

I just joined the boards and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Justin and I live in San Antonio, Texas.

I bought my '53 Kreidler K50 about a week ago and am still learning it. I have been able to get it started a couple times after sitting for 2-3 decades but have been unable in keeping it running and now after cleaning the carb it's leaking fuel (although I believe this to be a float adjustment)

I have some other toys too (cars not bikes or mopeds). I have a 1984 Trabant and you know what a Trabant is then I'm really impressed, if you don't, its a little East German car that no one saw until the Berlin Wall came down in 1989. I own the English speaking forums for those www.TrabantForums.com

I also have a classic Mini Cooper which has a great body and interior, but I am doing some engine work too.

I'm happy to have found this site, I am limited in sources for my moped (especially sources in English) and hopefully I will be able to gain some more knowledge here.

100_0584.jpg
100_0585.jpg
100_0588.jpg

Re: Hello From Texas! 1953 Kreidler K50

That's fucking awesome that you own a Trabant... I only know what they are because my girlfriend visited germany and read/learned about them in a museum and shared when she got back. Crazy. People put their children on waiting lists for them when they were born.

Not a whole lot of detailed information here probably for that specific bike - but all moped engines operate pretty much the same and there are plenty of people willing to help.

Some dudes on here (like rebel moby) are walking encyclopedias though... truly amazing dudes.

Awesome bike!

do you live in South Fork?

are you a Ewing?

did you shoot JR?

Justin Shepherd /

Thanks!! Glad you like the Trabi, they are a blast to drive and you are right on the waiting list. Depending on where in the Eastern Bloc you lived, it took 10-18 years from order to delivery. I'll attach a pic of mine to this post.

I don't think there is going to be much on my bike, from what all I've researched and according to databases and registries, my K50 is the only known one in the U.S. Makes it cooler if that's true, but harder when it comes to sourcing parts or help.

1380823_10100851032570933_840318693_n.jpg
1380665_10100851032575923_1594656991_n.jpg
988270_10100851032600873_1095472686_n.jpg

Justin Shepherd /

I have had that as my photo forever on a lot of other sites and network and you are the ONLY one to recognize that the house in the back in South Fork.

As far as being the one to shoot J.R......Which time? ;)

well,......... this ain't just any forum. you in da ARMY now

welcome, blah blah blah..........

there are some kreidler guys on here that will be glad to help you out.

Brandon Compton /

Hello from Houston! Even though it's a German bike you should join the facebook group "Lovers of French Mopeds" as there a lot of Euro riders on there, and well that will be a great start to finding people with parts. Awesome find, and will be even more awesome if you are able to get it fired up!

I see a few other vintage bikes in that garage as well. Not mopeds but other happy joys! If you're a collector there was some old bike here for sell, believe it was an old Cimatti, not sure on that though, but the guy wanted more than I was willing to pay. Check the Houston Craigslist, you mind be able to find it.

In the photo it appears that the carburetor is turned sideways, rather than being installed vertical like it should. I assume you've already fixed that before trying to start it.

Hello from Reno Nevada...On face book there is SACHS lovers forum , Rebel Moby hangs out there....tell em Don sent ya ! ~

Justin Shepherd /

Thanks for that! Those pictures were taken by the previous owner so those were his. He had a bunch of scooters he was selling and some weird other things too. I think they just have a Cushman and maybe one or two other things left in the way of bikes.

I'm more a car guy, but this looked fun and it was different than anything I was used to so I figured why not. It was a good deal.

I'll check out the FB page too.

Justin Shepherd /

I cleaned the carb out, but I don't see any other way it could go on and fit. I could be wrong, but I do not believe that it is the original carb.

Justin Shepherd /

Awesome! Thank you!

Andrew Squiggman /

close up picture of engine/ carb?

Justin Shepherd /

It's not the best, but I have the attached picture.....If I need to get a better one, let me know and I can snap it when I get off work today.

100_0586.jpg

Andrew Squiggman /

I would say that carb looks to be installed correctly.

Brent Bublitz /

Wow.. new member, makes a proper introductory post.

Actually owns a moped, and a bad ass one at that.

Has not called anyone a fag yet and has been nice to everyone.

We might be on to something here, guys.

Welcome! and make sure you hit the "Flat view" button at the top of the page. All the responses will start to make more sense.

Yeah, for that type of float bowl the carb is installed correctly. It's probably not the original carb. Is it a dellorto UA series? I think the stock one was an amal. Anyway, you might actually have an easier time finding spare parts for the carb if it is indeed a dellorto.

Justin Shepherd /

I want to say when I had it off the other day it was stamped amal. I could be wrong on this, but I will have to double check. From what I understand parts are super hard to find anywhere you look for them. I have a couple of possible sources in Europe, but I guess we will see when it comes down to getting a needed part.

Justin Shepherd /

Thank you for that, I JUST discovered the "flat view" option. Before that I was thinking it was pretty tedious to make a post and make sure you respond to everyone.

I run a forum too and I hope it doesn't resort to the behavior you mentioned, it's all people enjoying a hobby and I hope it sticks to being a community that centers around that :) I'm good with differences of opinions and such, just as long as they are handled properly.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here and thanks for the comment on my bike, I appreciate it :)

howdy!

if you haven't already figured it out there's a pretty good collection of moped folks up here in Austin, a proper gang, and a full-fledged moped shop.

the nice thing about mopeds is that most of the generic type parts go between models so you can probably find a lot of puch stuff that will fit.

motorwestmotorcycles.com is the best source for old timey puch (50's is a millenia before 70's technology wise) and he might be able to find you some stuff. points and other things like that which can't be kludged or swapped.

obviously

plug

change/flush fluids (trans fluid and gas tank)

clean carb until it works well

set points and clean them

tires

chain

brakes

oh yeah and as far as the forum stuff goes, this here's the wild west, pardner. everyone's a big jerk and we make fun of people that ask dumb questions until they cry, go away, or figure things out and stop being such whiners.

if you hang around, you'll get the feel for it. if you're respectful and have a thick skin (its the internet after all) you'll be fine.

this is a classic example of what NOT to do:

28 mm OKo clown

Justin Shepherd /

I'm thick skinned and I try not to ask stupid questions. I'm going to readjust the float and clean and check the points....That's something I haven't done yet. The plug looks good so I cleaned it well and stuck it back in.

I believe there is some weird process to actually get it started

Justin Shepherd /

If I spoke German, I could probably figure it out

Brent Bublitz /

Justin Shepherd Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm thick skinned and I try not to ask stupid

> questions. I'm going to readjust the float and

> clean and check the points....That's something I

> haven't done yet. The plug looks good so I cleaned

> it well and stuck it back in.

>

> I believe there is some weird process to actually

> get it started

Check the pin seat as well (assuming the float opens and closes the valve with a pin). It's pretty common for any little piece of crud to block the pin open and cause flooding. Use a Qtip to scrub it off.

Andrew Squiggman /

use google translate or babelfish

Can somebody describe what parts of the carb we are looking at the transverse thing just before the intake and the canister thing with ? The gas line further away?

Justin Shepherd /

Thank you Brent, that is something I did overlook....

Andy, I use Google translate and babble fish, but unfortunately, the owners manual is in PDF form so I can't just copy and paste it into a translate program.

hey justin, most awesome.

yes you may have the oldest in the u.s. kreidler didn't produce mopeds until 1950 and that k50 is the first model they made.

kreidlers are the mercedes benz of mopeds. french moby sites and sachs sites that were suggested are worthless to you.

go to kreidlerdatabase.nl

louis runs they site and will be most happy to see your bike. send him a pic of bike and one with vin tag, he'll send you a personal registration of bike.

your bike should run 55k/h.

i'm as stoked as you!

Justin Shepherd /

Thank you for that, makes me feel even better about my purchase :)

I met Louis on Facebook and registered with the Kriedlerdatabase, he sent me over the personalized registration...It was pretty neat.

Even he said parts are challenging to find for it in Europe, so I'm in for a bit of an Easter egg hunt. I don't mind the challenge.

Here is something I haven't asked. Since there isn't much on these anywhere and not really any for sale, maybe 1 or 2 in parts of Europe, what would a good insurance value be for this bike? I see you have quiet a few Kriedlers and granted this one is a bit older so there isn't a lot to go on, but I'd be curious because I need to get it insured. Also, who do you guys have your mopeds insured with? The company that does my classic cars won't do it.

Andrew Squiggman /

maybe try hagerty or grundy for insurance? most people here who have insurance only have it because their particular state requires it. Dairyland is a good bike ins. co, I use state farm.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account