Grande..Widening the Points for more power

Marcel, at 50cc.nl was telling me that if I widen my breaker points 0.5mm, that I will get a lot more power out of my 1980 Grande. Will this really work? If so....How? Any help is appreciated.

Chris

Re: Grande..Widening the Points for more power

Ron Brown /

Chris,

If you make the points wider, you are advancing the ignition. Maybe your ped, with the mods you have, likes this.

Ron

?

Ron Brown /

??

Re: ???

Setting the points at a larger gap advances the timing since they have to open earlier on crankshaft rotation to open wider.

On the other hand, increasing the gap also reduces dwell, which is the time the coil spends charging before it fires when the points open.

Ya gives some, ya gets some..

Jim

Ron Brown /

Jim,

Dwell is an over rated spec. It was usefull on old multi cylinder engines because it allowed you to average the point gap to compensate for worn distributors.

If you conside the length of time the points are closed at 1000 rpm and 5000 rpm, small changes in dwell pale by comparison.

Having said that, the relationship between the energizer coil, the flywheel magnet and the points opening, is designed into the magneto and if you change the timing too much, you will loose spark energy.

I guess if I were to do it, I would compare spark before and after.

Ron

I don't think I want to mess with this...

Ron Brown /

Why not, it sounds easy to do. Just keep an eye on engine temp and listen for spark knock.

Ron

yeah but.... how do you know where it is now ?

The only accurate way to check timing is with a strobe timing light.

You could very well be 2 degrees advanced already and not know it... (or 2 d retarded)

Using the point gap alone is pretty much still guessing.

It would be easy if I had experience adjusting points, but I don't....My ped is running great, and I don't want to jack it.

So I guess that's why they call it fixed instead of adjustable timing, right Ron?

Jim

Fred wrote:

>

> You could very well be 2 degrees advanced already and not

> know it... (or 2 d retarded)

crisis is most certainly already 2 degrees retarded.

not sure about his moped, though... (

Ignition timing can affect the power you get from your engine. The question is how much. You may be getting the practical maximum now. Opening the points will advance the spark (it will occur sooner in the stroke cycle) and perhaps ignite the fuel/air mixture at exactly the right point in time (depending on RPM) to extract the maximum energy for moving the piston. If you advance the spark to much, you will never start the engine, because the explosion will tend to force the piston backwards.

This was how broken arms from cranks occured with early autos when they forgot to retard the ignition. Early autos had manual ignition timing on the steering column.

Stay with the factory setting. You can still get 35 mph with a biturbo and a larger carburetor

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account