New Virginia Moped laws

Has anyone obtained tags for their Moped(s) yet?

Re: New Virginia Moped laws

I filled out the form but I haven't done anything with it...my moped has no official VIN since it's pre-1981 so I'm not sure if they will let me register it

No tags yet, but I've titled a few in preparation. Not going to pay registration fees until July when the law goes into affect. Let me know if you have any questions on the process

Did you have title's or did you have to fill out a DMV VSA 12A form?

I believe used the vsa12M, its for mopeds and atv's. Link Here.

Thanks for the link. I take it you had no problem getting the forms stamped by a Notary.

as far as i know they will folloow the trailer protocol if you dont have a vin they will issue one same as they do with "homemade" trailers

Sweet!

No hassle at all, it's a legit procedure so they should have no problem with it. You need to write in the box and explain that you 'attempted' to contact the previous owner to obtain the title but the title was lost or destroyed.

As for vin's they haven't required 16 digit, my garelli has the few letters and numbers stamped on the frame.

A printed photo of the vin and a bill of sale from the previous owner always helps smooth the process.

im still livid over this

this oughta help i moved to FL from VA down here you have to register them its $190 to do so and you have to have a license. only perk is there isnt a cap on the top speed, only limitations to roads you can take

The greedy tax man wants a piece of your pie. I have three to deal with and title for only one.

VA has antique tags available for motorcycles. Since my peds are all over 25 years old, the VA requirement for antique, I may try to get the antique tag. This will be a higher initial cost, but it is a one time only cost and not the recurring yearly cost of a moped tag. I'm not too hopeful, but figured I'd give that a try.

Really not stoked on this. I also heard talk that they might enact laws that stops people from modding their peds in any way, shape, or form.

I'm just going to blast till the cops pull me and play it dumb. I dew of the boys did it and the plates look cool

I wish there was something I could do about this.

Virginia law requires mopeds operated on Virginia roadways to be titled and registered by July 1, 2014.*

sounds like a done deal.

VSA 31 certificaton is a loophole:

Vehicle engine is 50CC or less and will not be operated at speeds in excess of 35 miles per hour, thereby classifying the vehicle as a moped.

or:

Vehicle engine is 50CC or less and will be operated at speeds in excess of 35 miles per hour, thereby classifying the vehicle as a motorcycle.

don't get caught speeding i guess.

towny is all legal. i might register n tag the scorpion as a motorpickle.

It's a done deal. Just blast on

Yeah, I'll get mine legal when the time comes..

Haven't decided what vanity plate to get for the TSM yet.

I got 2 titles you just need to put that there never was a title issued and have it notarized. to register they want odo reading and weight along with the normal stuff. for 2 titles and 1 reg/plates etc it was around 75 total. the kicker is now I have to pay annual tag renewal and property taxes.

You do not have to pay personal property tax on a moped in Virginia.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/vehicles/#moped.html

William Ludwig Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> this oughta help i moved to FL from VA down here

> you have to register them its $190 to do so and

> you have to have a license. only perk is there

> isnt a cap on the top speed, only limitations to

> roads you can take

mopeds are allowed on every road in fl but freeways

though shit i have 2 bikes with nh moped tags hat clearly says MOPED on them one on a 200cc dual sport and one on a 250cc scooter and i use 95 and the fl tpk cops dont even notice

the peds ate listed on my personal property, will have to make sure they don tax me this summer.

Glenn Kuehn Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Virginia law requires mopeds operated on Virginia

> roadways to be titled and registered by July 1,

> 2014.*

> sounds like a done deal.

>

> VSA 31 certificaton is a loophole:

> Vehicle engine is 50CC or less and will not be

> operated at speeds in excess of 35 miles per hour,

> thereby classifying the vehicle as a moped.

> or:

> Vehicle engine is 50CC or less and will be

> operated at speeds in excess of 35 miles per hour,

> thereby classifying the vehicle as a motorcycle.

>

> don't get caught speeding i guess.

The VSA 31 certification is similar to the georgia law that the ATL boys rely on for titlefreemoped$

not sure if that info from the DMV is outdated... but I definitely paid property tax on the one I have registered in Richmond... this may be a commonwealth only type affair, I dunno...

to everyone bitching about the law changing... it sucks, yes... but at least in RVA they are making super easy to comply...

I registered my city bike before the pinball run and had nothing... no bill of sale, no VIN#, nada... I told them it came from a junkyard and just free styled the VIN on the spot (coincidentally it ended up being like two digits off from my Soc. Sec. # haha)...

they also did not have a cimatti city bike listed in the computer inventory of mopeds and had to add it to the system while I waited...

the main trouble, if there is to be any, will come from trying to register a moped that has no VIN or potentially multiple VIN#'s displayed... think someone mentioned before that you will have to schedule to have someone from the state come out and inspect the vehicle and asses a new VIN# to it... think it costs a little over $100 to do this...?

additionally... I am in infrequent touch with the DMV dealer service folks and what you dont know is that they are also looking at statewide inspections for mopeds as as well...

this means that our shop and probably Scoot Richmond and all the sling blade lawnmower dudes will become inspection stations too...

we will have to verify that all your lights, tread depth, cabling and etc are in good working condition and sufficiently safe for operation on the road... will have to present the safety certificate before you can register it...

so while this will help generate revenue for the shops, it will make it increasingly harder for folks that cant afford cars to legally ride mopeds on the city streets...

Dealer Services is supposed to be sending out packets detailing how everything is gonna play out this year... I will disclose these facts once I receive it in the mail...

I have read all of the updated Virginia Moped laws on line and the pamphlets available at the DMV, I found mine at the Town office. NO inspection is required, no insurance is required, no property taxes are required by VA but this may vary depending on where you live.

I do not think that the new laws were made to deter Mopeds operating on the the streets but to regulate them, it should hopefully make it easier to get your bike back if it is stolen. As far as taxing most Mopeds on the road are so old that like my 20 year old car the taxes would be very little, besides there is no Blue Book value available on old Peds for them to reference. Also for years Law Enforcement Agencies have not enforced the fact that people who have had their driving licenses revoked for any reason cannot operate a Moped.

Read the facts people not hearsay, I started this thread find out how the tagging process will work in practice so that people could share information and help each other not scare people.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/vehicles/#moped.html

my negrini wasn't in the system and serial came up as a trailer. they ended up calling it a General Moped. funny considering there is a general model. the dmv lady told me it was good that I had owned the bikes for 7 years I think it was, or she would have to charge me a much higher reg fee for some reason. something to keep in mind to save a few bucks.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account