too much of a good thing???

Dave Gregory /

on friday i wanted to go for a long trip so i went far out into a town called royalston.....too far out. i was an idiot for not checking my gas....you guys know what happened at the end of my trip...me peddling about a mile to a gas station. but in all on friday i went 82 miles....thats just after school.

~dave~

Re: too much of a good thing???

One mile ?... heck... that isn't bad at all.

I've done worse... (sometime in the past).

same thing happened again....but this time closer to home. i was about 500 feet from my house when it ran out about an hour ago......figured out that it gets 70+ miles per gallon.

~dave~

I once ran out of gas on my Garelli in a mountain canyon road... I was MILES away from the nearest gas station.

But the BEST news about that was ... I ran out RIGHT BEFORE I was supposed to turn around and head ALL DOWNHILL.

It was the best (silent too) 3 mile cruise back to civilization I've ever had!

_wal

david f martin /

Did your bike freewheel, or did engine compression slow you down? Just curious.

david

Hey Dave-- (Extra Gas Can)

Hey Dave!

On your QT-50, I saw you had an extra gas can. Was that just to "fill 'er up" or was it actually linked into the fuel system?

Thanks. As you know the qt-50 holds about .5 gallons. With my weight and the stereo, I'm getting crummy mileage. I expected that, but jeez, my tomos, was "fill 'er up" once a week, and unless you went on a whole day ride-- you were all set.

I do a few errands on the QT, and it's almost out of gas. I'm getting 40 mpg, perhaps a little less-- it's been cold stilll-- so I don't have accurate mileage numbers.

Yeah, my only gripe with the QT is that tiny gas tank. I've run out 3 times already, and the petcock "reserve" is clogged.

No pedals, either. Ouch.

I might get a plastic bottle, put a tiny 'vent' in it, and fill it up w/gas and mount it like a water bottle. Enough to get to a station at least. I ought to replace that petcock too.

Thanks,

dave.... doesn't a QT50 have a 'freewheel' lever somewhere ?

It disengages the axle drive or tranny... and lets the bike roll free as can be.

Many bikes have them.

I normal bungee cord down an extra pre mix one gallon plastic gas can when I went on longer trips. especialy with my gas leak... if i ran out.. I would stop and filler up and have a Full tank it doubled my traveling distance and didn't ever get in the way.. I didn't decide to link them.. just strp it down and if I ran out I would get off and fill it up. I didn't find a real need to rig something up that would be ugly and I couldn't remove if i needed.

Dave & Dave--out of gas

Fred,

You might be confusing the two daves. Dave Martin had a qt-50 that was "pimped out" and got stolen....he had an extra gas tank on there.

The other guy, Just "Dave" didn't say what ped he was riding.

and as an owner of two 1982 QT-50's, mine don't have pedals, so there would be no clutch lever. And, I'm getting awful mileage on mine-- but it is running great. I think the tiny "underseat" gas tank is a bit small. 1/2 gallon or less...

I'm not sure if they ever made any QT's with pedals... they could have....

My reserve tank is not functioning---needs a new petcock, probably. makes it even worse when I run out of gas.

Dave Gregory /

it freewheeled

~dave~

Re: Dave & Dave--out of gas

Dave Gregory /

you think fred is getting confused??? im about as confused as a drunk smurf. you guys can tell thats its me (dave) by the ~'s or by my s/n. oh ya im riding a 77 sears free spirit and a 76 velo solex 4600 (front wheel driven and fun 2 ride)

~dave~

Re: Dave & Dave--out of gas

david f martin /

The QT doesn't have a fuel gauge for its tiny little tank. The extra gas can wasn't tied into the carb. I thought about doing that, but the bike got stolen before I got a chance.

As far as looks, I kinda liked the extra gas can. The bike was set up for long distance travel in relative comfort, prepared for most emergencies (including rain), and I carried my musical equipment and a change of clothes on it. Anytime someone asked me if all that stuff slowed the bike down, I told them, "It's set up for 11 miles (distance from work), not the quarter mile!"

No, the QT doesn't have a freewheel lever.

I'm working on setting up the Elite for all-duty, long distance use (and I carry a spare gas can on it, too), but still trying to keep it as aerodynamic as possible. I'd really like to find a windshield that looks good on it. Hopefully I can post a pic soon...

david

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account