Derbi Variant Race Relic...

one of my favorite bikes ever acquired.

just got this along with jack, who got the black SLE. it was sold to me by the brother of the late builder of the bike and i now possess a thick packet of documents, blueprints, and diagrams that went into its creation. the amount of work that went into this bike is at the very least amazing and extremely meticulous, and all done WAY before any of the parts retailers and vast amount of information that is available today. it has vintage performance parts ranging from a mofast pipe and piston (which i realized you would have to send your cylinder to get bored to the 60cc piston from reading the included receipts), to custom bodywork, wiring, switches, and a launch lever (designed ahead of it's time) to name a few. it is a glimpse into the first generation of moped tuning, for me having missed that generation, and tons of history that shows what one had to do to modify a bike in the 80's. although i already had an appreciation for people building bikes before my time, this is a true affirmation of the fact that there were and are great undiscovered moped builders out there in the world.

just got it running for the first time tonight. it is tuned amazingly, after all these years, with only a simple carb clean. ive built and ridden many derbi bikes from stock/kitted flat/pyramid/piston port engines, and i would rank this VERY highly amongst anything ive ridden. smooth. as fast as it looks. body and engine, executed exceptionally, and i will now ride and preserve it. complete with original registration and blue plate. a great influence to my own bulding as well...

(edited)

Re: Derbi Variant Race Relic...

................lucky

Great bike

let's see the launch lever!!!

LOVE!^

Wow, that looks just like one of my girlfriend's sex toys.

If you have anything about Mofast you can add to this wiki page that would be awesome. Anything like paperwork, address, etc.

Rodney you really are the best thing that could've happened to this bike. Might I suggest naming the "style" of custom launch lever after the OG (deceased) builder to honor his legacy?

thanks dude, i love that idea and will do that soon!

i will put information up gradually on everything i have here, including the mofast stuff. i have a book with vintage moped accessories including all the mofast pipes, derbi accessories, and assorted kits.

Fuck thats beautiful! And honestly the more I see it the more I like it! Its 80s goofy goober and proud!!!

Whoa, those drawings are pretty out of control. Still think it's as ugly as one could possibly make a variant, but the effort in it is pretty clear.

once you see that thing in person its a game changer.. everything is perfect and way ahead of its time. i got my sle going after sitting for years in 5min and rode it over 100 miles the first day. so much fun mashing stock derbis around

IMG_4300.JPG
IMG_4302.JPG
IMG_4303.JPG

fun..

IMG_4304.JPG
IMG_4285.JPG

here are most of the assorted documents i received with the bike.

put yourself in the shoes of the time this took place...

and finally the lever....

it seemed like the late builder/designer of this bike referred to himself as "Rojo" in letters to and from Derbi in Spain.

so, marked 2/19/1982, here are the blueprints for what ill refer to as...

The "Rojo" Launch Lever by Robert Howard

for derbi piston port / pyramid reed engines and maybe more with modification

give credit to the past! we all may leave our mark in many ways one day.

i will post pictures of the actual lever, how it works, and more of the bike tomorrow. too dark tonight...

so sick!!!

Woolfardisworthy bullfardisworthy /

you should take that creation to salt flats, im sure there's some category you could do awesome in! Esp with a fairing like that!.

also one of the notes says "Derbi Dealer Los Angeles" and its like 2 blocks from where Bully Chris and i first broke some mopeds!

So cool

@j@S R@j@s !!!

† CH∆D † /

I think one advantage he would of had is a more direct contact with the makers of these parts. Isn't derbi piaggio now? And don't they give zero fucks about variants now?

Back then you may of been able to walk into a derbi dealer and get to talkin real rad about moperds.

wow rodney this is absolutely amazing stuff!!!!

please post a pic of the 'said' launch lever! i'll have to look better at the pics.

nice score!

neato stuff! (edited)

-Brian- The Ruffians STL /

Jeans creamed.

So glad someone like you scooped that up.

EEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW YOU BOUGHT THAT TURD!

we'd all been making fun of how hideously retarded that thing looks.

although with the background you provided it seems alot less like the retard backyard hackjob that it first appeared. I mean the engine is painted red. what the fuck?

that fairing rules, except it looks awful on that bike and the seat's worse, but for racing i guess whatever..

The rearsets look rad and the launch lever is fucking nuts.

Still, I can't believe someone put that much time into that thing. On first and second glance it seriously looks like some hideously awful redneck hackjob.

i've seen a lot of "turdy" bikes in my time. shitty, barely running, "cafe" racers, horribly tuned and visually displeasing...this bike was made in the 80's, way before all of this, not in 2013.

ugly to me is disproportioned, unplanned, and shows no creative process prior to build. just because most people on here hate a color, and don't like the look of full fairings, it's sad that work can't be appreciated on such simple grounds.

totally a reflection on the 80's!

rodney, thanks for posting the blue prints wild stuff. i didn't see it at first as i don't veiw it flat. plus, i need to pass out from work. graveyard shift sucks. (edited)

I didn't actually mean to lay down quite so much hate on it, more what i meant was that it's pretty rad given the background.

before i'd only seen the CL ad and it looked like a totally idiotic mess

true, it initially looked preeeeety ridiculous on CL ha

Please post a video of the launch lever in action!!

Thanks for documenting the documentation!!!

The "Rojo" blue prints Rock! (Even tho I do not understand it)

Dude was trying to figure out the Derbi Launch Lever Science :)

-Honest™

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account