The Moped Forum (Simon)

Hey Simon, I know that I`m noboby far as ya`ll are concerned, but the standards of this once great website has gone to the kiddies or something ? Go back a few months and check out the professionalism involved "Great" and look at it now................! I know it will piss a few of you off (my post) but, it will probaly be the ones dragging this once great site down. Come On guys, why post dum-ass stuff?? I dont write and waste the expensive space on here to let you know I washed my ped, and will gauge the tires tommorrow. You guys were... Professionals^^^ and had good+++ info. THANKS! SIMON.. for having this forum!!! Wish it was the way it was, PS: I liked the old way.. not floating. <> Sorry if I stepped on a few toes. Doug D.

Re: The Moped Forum (Simon)

Doug,

Doug I hopefully have showed Simon

and this moped army I can keep my

account safe from intruders and

hopefully it will stay that way.

keeping it clean this is an message

from Rob.

Try e-mailing Simon\you'll probably get you point through faster

I'm a nobody too

-Rob

ok, is it just me or are all of rob's posts worded like the text in emails that viruses are sent with?

no offense, dood.. just an observation. )

-c

The Moped Forum

Except for the new format, I think the site is same it's always been as far as content.

Yeah, from time to time we get little jerkies posting crap.... That's always been the case.

The 'text' isn't really the money waster--- it's the photos that take up the most transfer space.

The 'float to top' makes the less interesting posts go away-- the 'crap' will move away more quickly.

Does anyone else feel like doug does? Like this place has gone to the birds?

I think the forum is seeing a lot of new people with basic "fred's Guide" questions.... that's why we have Fred's Guide online now--

Doug, specifically, what posts or posters got you thinking about the decreasing quality of the site?

I don't know, I think there are still plenty of professional and informative posts on this forum. For example, Ron Brown has been posting a few things that are good enough I'm going to turn them into articles for the site.

I think that the overall level of posts and traffic has just increased, and so there is a little more casual talking amongst people. The thing with that though is that this is a community site, where people sometimes discuss things of a personal nature, still dealing with mopeds, but not always just technical or professional.

I will moderate any off topic or deflamitory post that you'd like. If you see a post that seems to deviate too far from the purpose of this board - or is just an overall junk post - email me the URL so I can evaluate it.

Wayne - for the amount of people that read this forum, it's for sure a big part of the transfer usage. Text is smaller than photos, but read en masse, it sure does add up. I haven't done any of the fund raising things yet unfortunately. Just too busy lately.

simon

Hey Wayne, I really don`t think name calling and embarrishing (spelling) or hurting anyones feelings is not my way. Go back a year ago or less and compare the content, it speaks for itself. Freds Guide is a BIG PLUS and there is still some good info, and very Good Mechanics here too. I guess its just the kiddies that don`t even own a moped that is what I`m seeing. Doug D.

Re: The Moped Forum/Fund Raising

Hey Simon, Thanks, and would encourage others to do the same. Why not set-up and post a Paypal.com account, ear marked for the Forum, such as: www.Forum/Donation@mopedarmy.com Just an example, I will be more than glad to help! Sure there are others too. Thanks Doug D.

Re: The Moped Forum/Fund Raising

I plan on doing that actually, as an initial step at least.

simon

I saw on the news section that we can make a donation by using Paypal, buy a sticker and a button.. great idea, I just donated today... hopes this helps pay for whatever space Ive taken up here :)

That is a small way that you can help - plus get a sticker and button. Unfortunately after all the expenses are paid we only make $1 on each of those. The paypal donation link that I'll be adding soon will be more of an open ended donation amount.

thanks jimmy.

simon

The floating thing doesn't bother me... in fact it keeps things more 'current'... but mine always resets to "view threads" (always... even if I switch it the other way... and It takes a long time to load then... that kinda sucks... I am not very patient ... (big surprise there eh ?)

On the 'goofy' posts.... If people stand guard and rip them intelligently... I find they get scared to open their mouths ... somewhat.

Or delete them fast... so they don't get any pleasure out of it.

This Rob guy has an annoying writing style... (but maybe I do to?)

The thing is Rob... what do you ever have to say ?... not much that I ever see.

One thing as far as disk space... damn Simon!... I'm actually embarassed when I see how many times that guide was reposted.... sheesh !... if you let me... I'd go back and delete all those repeats... there must be 70 ot them... (thats 17 pages apiece!)

Would it be worth it to let somebody go back in time and delete the large percentage of old stuff of almost no value ?

Would that help ?... (I know photos take up more space... but .. ?)

Re:The Moped Forum (PayPal)

I think the PayPal link will be great. There are so many banner sites and pages full of crap. People will recognize the value of a clean, smooth website loaded with content.

I'd donate money in a second-- Just so I could post anything without worrying "is it directly moped related?"

If you get fired from a job, or you hear some cool news... You have a great idea etc... you should be able to post it.

The forum rocks, and with the upcoming paypal link bandwidth should be less of a concern.

Simon seems like one of the nicest guys out there-- I've often wondered if I'm costing him any money-- that would suck.

**Question for Simon: Have you considered adding a feature similar to the "Posting Statistics" page, but with the information you provided when I asked what the actual "raw" numbers were for a month? I remember being astounded by the amount of hits and data going through this website.

Thanks

Chris Couillard /

for what it is worth i love this site and i wish i could give you guys some money but i broke im sticking all my money into restoreing my moped

how would i give you guy some money beside those stickers and pins

there realy not my style dont you have any other types of fund raisers

oh the guy who said some thing about people sticking not related moped stuff on here was right kind of

but i dont think you really have to worry about it

people get the point when someone say this is a moped sight not what ever the trying to say or sell

plus some of it gets a little funny

RE:Simon ANOTHER DONATION!

hey simon, i just bought a pin and sticker thing. i know its not much, but wanted to help anyway i could.

I'm going to have a general donation option on the main page instead of the stickers and pins - hopefully it will be up tomorrow. Until I re-order, I need to hold on to the pins that we have actually.

simon

That's odd that it defaults to threaded view - it's actually set to default to collapsed view for the main list. hmm...do other cookie based settings work okay for you?

simon

Re:The Moped Forum (PayPal)

I probably won't keep a page with updated figures, but here are the most recent. They're up quite a bit from when you last asked. These figures are from the last 30 day.

Successful requests: 4,912,659

Successful requests for pages: 459,747

Distinct hosts served: 20,481

Data transferred: 23.916 gigabytes

Average data transferred per day: 816.358 megabytes

In the last 30 days the highest peak day was 1.6GB of data transferred. Crazy. Look for that PayPal donation link sometime tomorrow.

simon

Re:The Moped Forum (Stats)

Simon,

Can you use those numbers to determine how many "Lurkers" are here?

I'm assuming we have like 50 or 60 people who post fairly regularly....

Does 20481 "distinct hosts" mean that there's at least 20,000 hits coming from "Non-Posters" ?

Thanks just curious-- Thanks for the site-- and all the info.

Re:The Moped Forum (Stats)

Yeah, I guess that probably would mean that. There are plenty of other resources on the site besides the forum too. With almost any online forum I'd put the poster to lurker rate at 9/1.

simon

Ron Brown /

Fred,

You're right, DougD seems to have jumped to a conclusion based on reading a few posts. He also seems to be irritated by the fact that the posts more people are interested in are the ones "floating" to the top. Personally, I don't use the float feature, but for less regular visitors, I can see the advantage. Two other observations, Rob (wisc,net), jumped right on this to tell us, once again, it was not his fault (this is good content) and DougD sugests PayPal for donations. Hasn't this been sugested, discussed at great length allready? Could it be he did not read much before shooting off his keyboard?

Yes Fred, your writing style is annoying, but I am trying really hard to stay ahead of you. : )

Simon, I am willing to give up the excess bandwidth I am using if you can persuade my pages not to refresh every time I hit Back. If this is not possible with the current version of the site, just tell me to shut up and live with it and I will be for ever silent on the subject. : )

Ron

Truthfully I'm still trying to figure out what's going on Ron - I'm not having a problem with it, and I'm running a very similar setup to you. I'm not explicitly setting any sort of no-cache parameter, which means that the cache settings should be taken care of entirely by the browser on your end...

I know that's not much help...

simon

Ron Brown /

Simon,

Does that mean you do not get updated pages when you click, back, or that your connection is fast enough that it does not matter?

Other sites I visit have not changed their behavior as far as updating pages.

Ron

You know, it's hard to say. I'm going to look into this more than I ever this weekend -- I'll let you know what I find.

simon

Ron Brown /

Simon,

Thanks.

If you get really fast page refresh, the easiest way to check for an updated page is to add a post to a thread then hit back and see if your post is in the thread. On nine, it allways is.

Ron

Well, that would be desired behavior. I've recently learned that PHP pages don't send the proper cache headers by default - so I'm going to be manually adding them based on updated information. So if the page is updated - then it will send a new copy. If it's not updated, it will read from your cache.

The only way to achieve what you're looking for is to have it cache per session, and never show you updated versions unless you manually hit shift-refresh or close your browser and re-open it.

Since these pages are dynamically generated based on new content, the method I'm implimenting will make the most sense. - if it's updated, show new content. This will speed up refreshes for pages that aren't changed, like posts you've already read and things like that.

simon

Ron, I think I've fixed it. On my system anyway, it doesn't show the post I've just made when I hit the back button directly after making a post.

I've set it up to only resend information if a new post has been made since you last viewed the page -- and I've set the caching parameters to "public", which should allow your browser more control over the caching of pages.

Let me know if it's any better for you...I'm sure I could tweak it a little more based on not just the entire forum's latest post - but the thread you're directly viewing as well.

simon

Hey Fred or Ron or Simon or Anyone.. I don't really understand about what your talking about with Cacheing stuff and with freds guilde being posted in diffren't locations or whatever... But I do have a question would it be Space saving to put the Guide as a zip file that is downloadable rather then all the pages being posted online.

The online resource is great... I made it readable while not connected to the net so I can still look at it without having to load it each time. And I did notice how the Doug was posting about making dumb posts when he brought up the pay pal idea, golly I think that was suggested a month or so ago and was even Accepted.

Some posts I put little or no thought into and they are normaly non moped related. Half of what I post is becuase I enjoy the people that use this board and to share experiences and veiws from the Community of moped riders which in my area I don't really have.

I enjoy posts from people that say they washed there moped or that they were going on a little trip. I don't get to see any other people doing it and It is nice to visualise people out on and with there mopeds. I think it is great and it gives some of us spmethings to think about and look forward to... especialy me with my moped down and out for the last few months all the stories of just doing stupid little things with the mopeds gives me a little

motivation to go ahead and get mine done. Hearing someone post they washed there moped is cool to me.. I can tell they must actualy love there moped.. Much like I do and those are the people I am going to want to talk with. not the Ass's that just sit back and critize people postings like they are the Forum god... there's only one of those and Simon does a damn fine job.

Actually, the guide is available in a couple of different ways. On the first hand side of the page there are links to view a printable and palm version.

It's not downloaded enough to make it worthwhile to have it in a zip format -- pages are actually compressed transparently when they're sent to the browser anyway; that's a new feature I just added.

Printing it out is probably the best way for it to help you when you're working anyway.

simon

Ron Brown /

Simon,

This is great. It seems to respond about like the old version.

The only "odd" time it refreshes now is when I returen to "latest posts", even if it has not changed. The old forum used to leave this alone (retrieve from cache) as I worked my way through the posts, then I would click latest posts when I got to the top of the list.

I realize that this means the most current posts would not be displayed, but in fact, updating this screen causes the highlight, showing the last thread accessed, to move up the list by one place for each new post.

As usual, the good of this forum, thanks to your efforts, far outweighs any of my irritations, so just keep up the good work and don't put yourself out trying to make me happy.

Ron

Ron Brown /

Duck,

Relax, I think most of us enjoy the kind of posts that you and others put on the forum.

Now go fix youe ped and tell us about washing it. : )

Ron

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account