Motobecane-still

jack garcia /

I've got the 79 Moby together and ready to fire up, but I want to check the points, and adjust the timing. Which way does the rotor nut loosen? clockwise or counter? And how the heck can I secure the rotor without a flywheel wrench? Looks like the previous owner used hammer and chisel to try to take off the rotor nut. Can anyone talk me through the points adjusting and timing? Last step before shes ready, getting anxious!!

Re: Motobecane-still

ITS A REVERSE THREAD!!! Please dont make the same mistake i did. Stripped mine right out and had to weld a metal rod to it and tap it off. Impact guns work best, but go the wrong way and your done. They strip VERY easily. A strap wrench will also work ok. You can pick one of those up at an auto store. Find a mom and pop store, if thay dont have it they can order one. Lots of companies make them. I suggeut the brand KD. Just dont go to auto zone or advance, they dont need your business, there a shitty corporation.

Ron Brown /

Jack,

Matt is correct, it is a left hand thread. An impact with a 3/8 drive is the simplest way.

Point gap is .35 - .4 mm.

Timing is 2mm btdc

Ron

jack garcia /

Thanks, I solved that problem using a large clamp, and once I figured the proper direction, it came loose easily. I took off the rotor, and everything looks good, no corrosion, so I put it back together to see if it would have spark. Initially, I had none, so I checked the coil, and it was corroded on the inside pin, the one the suppressor wire goes into, so i cleaned that off. I checked the wire itself and cleaned any green crust off. I think I had faint spark, but then my small chain broke. It shatterd some of the links, not at the hinges but snapped about three into pieces!! Brittle chain? Any more tips on getting spark? I am going to get a new plug, but I used a good one off my other moped, and that was a weak spark

jack garcia /

Thanks, I solved that problem using a large clamp, and once I figured the proper direction, it came loose easily. I took off the rotor, and everything looks good, no corrosion, so I put it back together to see if it would have spark. Initially, I had none, so I checked the coil, and it was corroded on the inside pin, the one the suppressor wire goes into, so i cleaned that off. I checked the wire itself and cleaned any green crust off. I think I had faint spark, but then my small chain broke. It shatterd some of the links, not at the hinges but snapped about three into pieces!! Brittle chain? Any more tips on getting spark? I am going to get a new plug, but I used a good one off my other moped, and that was a weak spark

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account