Re: noob intro, 1981 Yamaha Towny MJ50J

Have you tried cleaning the seat really well...just to note i read in the wiki about jetting on a qt to 67.5 and it worked really good so i did the towny also and it made a good improvement in the power and running

john cervini /

I cleaned the seat but my problem is that the rubber tip broke off my needle valve.

Yea that would be a problem..i will look but.i.don't think i have another spare

Jack Rutherford /

Guess I'll give it a try. I have a 2" tire on the 16" rear rim. Rear fender will have to go though.

Kaleb Segelquist /

would a qt50 rear rim fit on the towny?

I just picked a Towny up today that “didn’t have spark.” I looked over the wiring and the kill switch wasn’t wired right. I got it running within a few minutes of being home.

It seems like something is missing in the seat frame though. Maybe a piece that connects to the lock? The seat sits directly on top of the gas cap. That’s not right is it? I’ve attached some photos, if I’m right and a piece of the seat frame is missing can someone post a photo of what is missing? Thanks!!!

E10F6B1F-9D53-4CA1-BB38-93E2CC1214A7.jpeg
9F25E3E5-8A79-4D66-896F-B5841E69F70F.jpeg
8038684A-41CA-41AB-B062-AC2539D94635.jpeg

> Joe K Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I just picked a Towny up today that “didn’t have spark.” I looked over

> the wiring and the kill switch wasn’t wired right. I got it running

> within a few minutes of being home.

>

> It seems like something is missing in the seat frame though. Maybe a

> piece that connects to the lock? The seat sits directly on top of the

> gas cap. That’s not right is it? I’ve attached some photos, if I’m

> right and a piece of the seat frame is missing can someone post a photo

> of what is missing? Thanks!!!

That empty spot looks like a battery box. The battery is behind the oil tank on the Yamahopper. Yours obviously doesn't have room there. The rest of it looks stock or close to it.

The Yamahopper has gas and oil fill under seat just like that. At least you got a plastic tank that will never rust out.

P.s. You're missing the key. That speedo and key switch are the exact same on the Yamahopper. (Depending on year) later models have the "start" position on the key switch. Earlier models did not have that. I forget the year that changed. (edited)

That seat is not factory. Can’t say what that’s off of.

Yeah the plastic tank is why I was worried the seat sits right on it. If I hit a big bump it will probably crack the tank. I have a key, it’s just not in the photo.

I didn’t even think about it not being a stock seat, that makes much more sense! Thank you both for the info!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account