Almost seized my Grande!!!

I ran out of gas yesterday....Stupid me! Some nice lady offered me some gas. She had a big can in her yard sitting next to a weed eater. I assumed that it was premix, and I wasn't going to "look a gift horse in the mouth" (got that one from my momma). So I put some in and headed back home, assuming that it was premixed. I was on a steep hill and headed back down, full throttle. I had the needle burried at 40. About a quater mile of it. I started up a slight grade and I heard the dreaded sound, "screech" and my ped died. I almost pooped! I pulled into a parking lot and said, "oh f@#$". Luckily it started back up and got me a mile, back to my house, and it was just a "stick". IT WAS STRAIGHT GAS. I put some 2 stroke in my tank and filled it up the rest of the way with my premix. I rode it for about an hour after that, so my ped is okay. Lesson learned? Never assume that a stranger's gas is premixed. Always carry a bottle of 2 stroke with you. And, oh yeah, fill up your tank.

Chris

Re: Almost seized my Grande!!!

if your momma told you about "never look a gift horse in the mouth", she probably also taught you the "never take petrol from strangers" lesson, too... right?

:)

Ha. That is easy for you to say. You weren't "15 hills" from your house! :)

ooooooh. touche`! haha.

-casey

:)

When I first brought my Ciao home, it did not run so my son and his friends thought they could get it running while I wasn't home. They put straight gas in, and I'm sooooo greatfull they never got it going. bruce

Ron Brown /

Chris,

Be prepared to go curl up in the corner, I'm going to yell at you again.

I can almost understand your getting gas with no oil, the operative word here is almost. Gas is clear, premix is colored.

That means you are forgiven for the first sieze. What the hell were you thinking when you rode it the last mile home?

Your ped had been running straigh gas for 2 hours. The chances of there being any lubricant in the engine were slim. You had already siezed the engine which most likely galled the piston and decrased the clearance.

Why were you unable, or unwilling to be kind to your ped and push, or pedal it the last mile home?

By the way, if you are ever really stuck without premix, you can use regular 30 weight motor oil as used in most lawn mowers. Mix it at about 30:1 and drain it and replace it when you get home. Before 2 stroke oils were designed, this is how we ran all our 2 strokes.

Ron

NO...it was only running straight gas for like 10 minutes max. I ran out of gas after riding for a few hours. And I didn't realise that it wasn't premix, until I got home and started thinking about it. Sorry Ron. I sware...I love my Grande!

Ron Brown /

OK Chris, you're forgiven. : )

Now I can breathe again! Thank you. :) Haha...Are you going to the BBQ?

InfectedBootSector /

Yeah... I ran out of gas in the middle of the sticks one time... the gas station I was trying to make it to only had regular 30 weight in stock, so we mixed that... smokes like a paper mill, but it worked great...

Well trained kids

This reminds me.

There was a kid in my neighborhood who ran an 80cc dirtbike out of gas about a mile from home... as he was pushing by I told him... "hey - I got some gas if you want it".

He asked me if it was pre-mixed or not.... Yes.

The kid furrowed his brow and..... declined.

I go.... "listen man... its the 2 stroke gas I put in my dirtbike and my weedeater and my moped and my outboard motor"........ "No Thanks".

I had to laugh.... I KNOW his dad had DRILLED it into him that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES was he to put the wrong (or suspect) gas or oil in this DANG MOTOR... lol

So as I was telling him I had pre-mix... the kid was thinking of the whipping he'd get if the motor blew up later that day.

The kid was well trained... and I was proud of him for doing "the right thing" at about 13 years old.

Re: Well trained kids

Yeah,his Dad would be proud of him. Did you mention it to his Dad? Reminds me of when I went to pick up a moped once. This guy comes out and says `we just put some gas in it and fired it right up'! I asked about pre-mix. There was a PAUSE.............as the wheels turned in this guy's head. I said, `SHUT IT OFF!' Close call! (:^)

jack garcia /

Note- Add to tool kit 1bottle of 2-cycle oil

Very so........very so,Jack.(:^)

Got it!

Ron Brown /

Yes, if the weather is not too bad.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account