Four Corners of CT Tour

Hi Folks,

Well at 8 am tomorrow morning I will be embarking on my 345 mile tour of the four corners of CT. I am planning on the adventure taking me 3 days. I am taking Bunny, my 2008 Tomos LX. Her improved forks and upgraded suspension should make the ride more comfortable and I know I'm going to appreciate the A55 motor more in the hills of western CT. The weather looks like hazy, hot and humid with scattered showers and thunderstorms for the first part of the week. But nothing is going to dampen my spirits.

I will try and keep you all posted of my progress daily.

Wish me luck,

Moe

Re: Four Corners of CT Tour

Good luck & have a blapst!

richard george /

don't forget to take some pics along the way

see you in august good luck stay safe

Moe.. Stop by my shop when you comethru guilford to clinton..

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Best of luck. Try to stay dry!

Day One Update...

Hi Folks,

Left at 8 am in a light drizzle and followed by some light rain. Never really amounted to much, just a slight annoyance. Bunny was packed well and carried the load great. I'll have to post pics when I get home. We made the first corner at the intersection of rtes 197 & 131 at 9:30 am. Low and behold there is a restaurant there named the "4 Corners Restaurant and Pub" . I figured that couldn't have been more appropriate so pic number one will be there! hehehe Made my way down to Rte 12 and followed that to Jewett City where I finally ditched the raingear. I turned east on rte 138 then on to rte 49 and made a loop around North Stonington to Rte 184. Stopped for lunch at 12:30 and 104 miles at the "Somewhere in Time Café" in Old Mystic. A gentleman sitting on the porch told me of some really nasty weather ahead so I called Bobbie and told her Mystic would be the stop for the night. There apparantly was a tornado really close to home. I spent the next hour checking on Bobbie, Dad and the kids, everyone was fine. I got a room at the Quality Inn for $49, (Yes George, it looks like Diane managed to drop a book of coupons in my lap!)

I topped off the gas tank with .86 gallons at 105.2 miles for a first day total of 122.33 mpg. My average rolling speed was 29.9 mph so overall I am VERY happy with that.

I'm looking forward to leg #2. Check with Y'all tomorrow.

Moe

Re: Day Two Update...

Hi Folks,

I apologize for missing the update Tuesday night. The motel didn't have a computer center for guests to use and I wasn't up to typing this all up on my phone.

Day Two:

Bobbie and I woke up to gray cloudy skies and very "damp" air again. After having a free breakfast that included scrambled eggs and sausage Emoji we packed up and Bobbie took the I-95 on ramp across the street from the hotel as I continued south on 27 to hook up with Rte. 1. I did a better job of taking pictures today. Stopping at Mystic Seaport to take a pic of Bunny at the gate then about 200 chickens in a field caught my eye so I took a pic of those too. I missed a shot of two BEAUTIFUL, black and white draft horses the day before so I figured the chickens might make up for it...hehehehehe. then onto Rte 12 north this time and took a pic of Bunny at the Sub Base entrance in Groton. Since I was heading for Norwich to take the bridge across the river, I called our friend Patti to see if she wanted to meet for coffee. We met at the Dunkin Doughnuts on Rte. 32 and had an enjoyable visit.

The air was getting a bit "thicker" as I got ready to leave so I donned my rain pants and headed off south on 32 heading for New London and Rte 156. The route markings aren't done very well in the city so I was very glad I had my Garmin along. I was using it to more accurately track my mileage and speed as I already had the route layed out on the map in the tank bag. I plugged in an address in Waterford and it guided me through the city in perfect time. I stopped in a park under the bridge roadway going over to Niantic for a Bobbie stop and recognized that a restaurant across the bay was where we had gone a few times for lobster runs. After a couple of pictures I was off again. I followed Rte 156 to a side road that took me to Hadlyme and Rte. 82. There were a couple of short, STEEP hills on this road which I ended up having to help Bunny climb by peddling. I'm here to tell you that, peddling a moped in full protective gear AND rain gear is WORK!! I was soooo happy these hills were short! I don't remember now if it was this road or 156 that I hit my top speed of 48.3 mph. It was a long fast downhill where I let my bike go. I followed Rte 82 to Haddam and the Good Speed Opera House where I took a pic and crossed the steel bridge there. I stopped at the Dunkin Doughnuts on the other side for lunch just as a quick shower was starting. When I started Bunny up after lunch she was making loud piston slapping noises but she was still willing to go so off we went. The noises stayed with me hoping I hadn't hurt her on that high speed run down hill.

We headed down Rte. 154 to Rte. 80 west and were really cruising well. I love that road. The sun was now peeking thru the clouds and it was getting brighter and brighter. I was feeling good and the bike was running well. I took it easy on her the rest of the way keeping the speeds between 30 and 32 mph. I had to use the Garmin again to help guide me to Rte. 1 in New Haven and it worked perfectly. I plugged in the address for the Super 8 motel on Rte 1 in Milford ( Yup, I had another coupon George! ) and that would be my stop for Day two. Total for day two, was 110.4 miles and I filled up with .94 gals for a total 117.45 mpg. I sure am loving travelling this way!

Re: Day Three Update...

Hi Folks,

Day Three...The Finale'!!

I woke up to Bright sunshine with just a few high puffy clouds after some heavy rain Tuesday night. I was concerned that I had maybe miscalculated the total miles of the route I had planned. I had completed 215 miles and wasn't quite to the third corner yet. I still had to complete the last two corners and make the ride across the north top part of the state back to home. I knew this was going to be the tough part of the ride going into the northwest hills and those noises from the day before were still on my mind. I gave Bunny a good going over, checking everything, making sure nothing had loosened or broken. My headlight was blinking from the day before, so I switched the leads and checked the ground. Everything seemed to be fine for the push home.

My son had voiced his concern about my route through Bridgeport and I was sure which way I should go. There was no easy way to get around it and still end up on Rte. 58 where I would make my turn north. It wasn't quite 8 am when I pulled out of the drive onto Rte 1 south towards Bridgeport. I had decided that I would keep going and if things started looking too rough or seedy that I would then take an alternate. It was early enough that there was really no one on the road so I just continued on. Again the Garmin was a big help getting me through the city without incident. I began to relax as the sights of woodlands, ponds and VERY EXPENSIVE houses became more prominent along my route. Rte. 58 is TRULY a scenic road, very well maintained and just a joy to ride slow on. Bunny was loving the ride and I was loving this adventure more and more. Before I knew it I was in Bethel and Rte. 302 over to Rte. 53 heading to Danbury...WOW!!! That was quick!! Rte. 53 became Rte. 37 so fast my head was spinning. And it was all happening at a mind blowing speed of 30 to 35 mph! I stopped for a Bobbie stop at the corner of Rte. 37 and 39 in New Fairfield. As I was having my coffee I was looking out over the mountain scenery and thought of the climbs to come.

I headed off on Rte. 39 heading into those hills where I would connect with Rte. 37 again and over to Rte. 7 and before I knew it again I was in Kent. I made a couple of 9-10 mph climbs but no where near what I was expecting and I seemed to find myself doing more down hill then up hill for some reason. I was holding Bunny back, not letting her get over 38 mph and keeping the throttle open some. It seemed to work better and she responded in kind as well. Following Rte. 7, I was in North Canaan for lunch. I stopped at the MacDonald's there. I was at 306 miles total and knew I could make it home barring any mechanical problems. I filled up at the Mobil on Rte. 44 before heading home on the last leg and I went for it. Bobbie had warned me of some thunder storms in Winsted and the sky did look a bit menacing but it was clear over me so off I went.

In Winsted I turned north on Rte. 8 to connect up with one of my favorite roads, Rte. 20 around the Barkhamsted Reservoir. Bunny was running absolutely wonderful. I was keeping her speed under control and I felt much better that we would make the trip without a problem. I stopped to take my last pic in front of the Riverton Inn. At 1:30 pm I made the turn onto the air museum road around the airport heading for home. I filled up again at the Sunoco where I started. I arrived home at 2 pm. Total for today ended up 145.9 miles and total fill ups were 1.18 gals. Total for the day 123.64 mpg!!!

Total trip 362.4 miles and took 2.95 gals for a trip total 122.85 mpg.

I have such a WONDERFUL feeling of accomplishment with this trip. I have always loved small cc bikes and motorcycle travel so getting the opportunity to combine them was totally AWESOME!! What I got to see along the way is that we truly live in a beautiful state. I won't wait so long to plan my NEXT moped adventure.

Re: pics from my ride

Awesome pics. Thanks for posting. Inspirational to do the same here in VA. Gas sure is expensive in CT.

Nice pictures! I live Colebrook right near Canaan and Winsted so some of those pictures were very familiar

Hi Sam...Hope to see you on a ride soon then.

Moe

richard george /

I like the pics by the looks you had a very good ride

see you

in august for next ride

Bruce Thomas /

did you get to southeastern ct? im from stonington

Bruce Thomas /

i see now......you were right here in Mystic down the street

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

prepping for the Pinball Run?

WOW Rob!!! That sounds great. I don't have the time this year however.

I think I would rather do it as a tour at a slower pace. Yea...I'm an "old" man. hehehe You "kids" have fun and be careful.

Moe

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Moe, you are truly an inspiration to the rest of us old fogies.

But too many stops at Mickey D's will kill you early. Try eating better on the road!

hehehe...Thanks for the advice Dave. I only stopped there once on this trip.

/

« Go to Topic — end of thread