RE: Group hug time (4 u all)

Miguel /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

It's sad that Jan is a bigot when it comes to moped. He keeps saying: "I don't care what you think" blah blah blah blah ... but then he keeps posting!! If you don't care what WE think, Jan, then what makes you think we care what YOU think. Or is direct logic too much for you? Perhaps elliptical arguments are better:

I define mopeds as such ... because what I have is a moped ... so things that look like what I call mopeds are mopeds [a truisim] ... subsequently, those who disagree w/ my definition are "crap"

That is an elliptical argument (as opposed to a pure "circular" one). Tsk tsk tsk. And you thought Americans are dumb. [Oh, and don't lump the Canadians in w/ us ... they might get offended!]

My moped is an Italian one. A 1977 Bianchi Snark. So ... an original moped. It has pedals, 50cc, no manual transmition, etc. I love her to pieces. But I don't make fun of people who ride something else. Even if it is NOT a moped!!

So Jan, what makes you think that your bike is a moped? Answer: Swedish laws say that they are. So ... you believe Swedish definitions of things are better than other countries? Or do you believe that non-Swedish definitions are all inacurate? So everyone is wrong because they aren't Swedish? Or is Sweden right because YOU were born there? That's an interesting question, eh? ... My conclusion: if you were born in Tanzania and mopeds were defined as monkeys w/ saddles, you'd STILL think all our definitions are "crap" simply because it's not the one you use.

When the correctness of a definition is entirely up to you. Sounds like the Tweedle Dum argument from "Alice in Wonderland" (using words as you like to mean whatever you want them to be). If this is so, then you don't have an epistemological position from which to launch an argument against others' definitions. The basic principle, once you accept it, is that if YOU can define a word as you wish, then others are free to do so.

To emphasize, even if you ASSUME that you are inherently more correct than others, it is based only on your self-assumption that your definitions are correct. You can then NOT assume that others can't make similar assumptions about themselves. But, since humans are social animals (we communicate w/ each other), linguistic discourse REQUIRES that we assume that definitions are socially based and built from cooperative discourse -- accepting that neither of us has any logical reason to hold onto the truth.

So ... some Americans aren't so dumb, eh Jan? We can see through your weak philosophical assumptions. I don't care how YOU define mopeds. And since I'm not in Sweden ... I don't care how they are defined in YOUR country. My moped is registered in USA. So those laws apply to me. What moped definitions have in common is the important thing.

And you, Jan, came into this forum already assuming that we didn't care about your mopeds. Sergi and other have come in w/ great information on new mopeds and designs from Europe and Asia. Thank you guys! And we have shared w/ them many things. But you, Jan, are just a small-minded little man who wants to assume that Americans are SOOO stupid. Sorry, some Americans may be stupid ... but so are some Swedes, apparently!

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  Group hug time (4 u all)Topic by: Jan Jan 10/01/00 07:23PM
  RE: Group hug time (4 u all)Re: dave dave 10/02/00 10:24AM
  RE: Group hug time (4 u all)Re: Simon King Simon King 10/02/00 10:34AM
  RE: Group hug time (4 u all)Re: Ivo Ivo 10/02/00 05:21PM
  RE: Group hug time (4 u all)Re: Ben Ben 10/03/00 01:12AM
  RE: Group hug time (4 u all)Re: Miguel Miguel 10/03/00 02:05AM
  Hey...Miguel...Re: Fred Fred 10/03/00 05:18AM
  RE: Group hug time (4 u all)Re: Reeperette Reeperette 10/03/00 06:37PM
  RE: Group hug time (4 u all)Re: JohnW JohnW 10/03/00 08:30AM
  RE: Group hug time (4 u all)Re: caleb caleb 10/03/00 11:56AM
  RE: Group hug time (4 u all)Re: mike mike 10/04/00 09:21PM
  RE: Group hug time (4 u all)Re: Miguel Miguel 10/05/00 07:56PM
  RE: Group hug time (4 u all)Re: mike mike 10/05/00 09:54PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account