RE: Do you [have to] wear a helmet?

Reeperette /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I do not know, mainly because I wear the helmet anyway.

Got a sharply pointed object lesson one day about both helmets and enclosed-chain drive mopeds.

Was making a U-turn in the median, which isn't exactly picture-perfect traffic behavior, but beats getting creamed by a truck...and the damn chain master link popped.

Normally that'd just mean the chain gets flung off, right ?

Not in an enclosed-chain drive it don't....the chain wrapped around the rear sprocket and jammed, and it was like taking off after trying a 50 foot rope from the back of your 'ped to a fence....and running out of rope - Pwiiiinnggg.

Over the handlebars my puny tail went, headfirst into a nice sized rock.

Sat up, shook my head and pulled off my Shoei full-face helmet, and lo and behold, a big nasty chip in IT, instead of my head.....I've worn a helmet ever since, but preference is 3/4 open face with goggles, face shields fog and distort too easy.

I also rip the box off any "enclosed-chain" 'ped the minute I get it.

I figure it's your choice, more so than a matter of law, but I choose to wear one, I also choose to wear motorcross armor under my jacket, but no one seems to keen on making that a matter of law, do they ?

Of course, I might be a little biased, since using the aforementioned equipment, is the reason I happen to still be here, even though I do agree that some of the heavier helmets are as much a danger as they are a help.

And fer crying out loud, why can they not simply drill a small hole over each earpiece and cover it with mesh or something so you can HEAR the truck about to back up over you when you're looking in the other direction, eh ?

Still, I figure it should be up to you.

Ree.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  Do you [have to] wear a helmet?Topic by: Simon King Simon King 09/29/00 06:28PM
  RE: Do you [have to] wear a helmet?Re: Ivo Ivo 09/29/00 08:03PM
  HJC is KoreanRe: Fred Fred 09/29/00 11:37PM
  RE: HJC is KoreanRe: Ivo Ivo 09/30/00 01:02PM
  RE: Do you [have to] wear a helmet?Re: twowheelers twowheelers 09/30/00 02:00AM
  RE: Do you [have to] wear a helmet?Re: Gilbert Gilbert 09/30/00 01:25PM
  RE: Do you [have to] wear a helmet?Re: Jim C. Jim C. 10/01/00 12:10AM
  RE: Do you [have to] wear a helmet?Re: Reeperette Reeperette 10/02/00 08:22AM
  RE: Do you [have to] wear a helmet?Re: dave dave 10/02/00 10:13AM
  RE: Do you [have to] wear a helmet?Re: Reeperette Reeperette 10/03/00 01:01AM
  RE: Do you [have to] wear a helmet?Re: Nick Nick 10/03/00 12:10PM
  RE: Do you [have to] wear a helmet?Re: Ivo Ivo 10/03/00 06:19PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account