Help! 1978 Sachs Balboa starting issues

You can petal and petal and the engine sounds like its going to start but when you try and give it some gas it just wont turn over.

My buddies and I tested the spark plug out of the hole and it does not make a spark when connected to my moped the same spark plug makes a spark with my buddies moped.

Any Ideas of how to fix this?

Screen shot 2013-04-06 at 6.48.33 PM.png

Re: Help! 1978 Sachs Balboa starting issues

Could be:

-Bad external coil

-Bad internal coil

-Bad ground

-Pinched wire

-Corroded points

Start troubleshooting one thing at a time.

points are shot...replace or adjust them and the condenser while yer at it and you will be good to go.

add to that maladjusted points, bad condensor, plug boot/wire bad, or electrical ghosts hiding somewhere (hardwire it)

first hard wire it, then move to properly adjusting the points and follow by cleaning them.

from there use your multimeter and check for power at various points in the ignition system while you turn it over. (ex: if you get power going to your external coil and out of it but nothing at the boot then you have a bad wire/boot. If you have power to but not out of the external coil its that.) No power from the magneto is gunna be either your points or a grounding issue. (edited)

a fast way of finding out if yer getting power too said points...pedal it and press the horn button...no sound, no power and something has shorted out were all the wires are aka head lamp....this happen too me and from what i see the only person here besides yourself who rides a Sachs...Mines a 1980 1-d g-3...j-s-y-k- ! `

PEDAL you fucking moron how can nobody spell. I don't give a fuck about grammar and abbreviate things all over the place. but a petal and a pedal are different

so don't say "PETAL" again unless you're blackpipes and rock THESE:

also where'd you get that bike? It's fucking rad.

I can tell you didnt build it. but that's OK- you get to fix it!

I like to disconnect kill bits first. ground the blue/black horn wire straight from the engine, and unplug the killswitch wire & try.

if still no, check power into the coil - take the blue wire off the HT external coil and hold it to a ground and see if IT sparks, if no - you've got internal issues - points condenser etc. if it does, your problems external down the line of the HT coil, the plug wire or the boot.

Most common issues:

-grounding kill wire (or ungrounded horn wire - blue/black needs to be grounded)

-dirty points

-Bad plug boot

but yea it could be any of a tono of other bits, but check off that blue wire to isolate which section & troubleshoot from there.

We ended up getting a small spark out of the spark plug but it still wont start. I noticed every time we put in the spark plug and take it out it comes out wet. Wondering if maybe its flooded and the spark plug keeps getting too wet to spark?

@Will D~ I Stand Corrected good Sir ! ~how's this ? "them flat things yew put yer feet on in order ta make the wheels go round and round...Is this any Better ?

♣Slew Foot♣ /

taillight bulb?

Gonna be honest I dont know what any of that is.

As far as the Pedal/Petal situation you can suck my dick and gargle my balls you condescending little prick.

With that aside no I did not build this bike. I bought this bike as is from a dude on craigslist. I myself am completely mechanically retarded. It is for that reason I had to post on these forums for some (Help)!!!! And I do thank you for your help.

I dont know how to fix any of the things you suggested but at least it gives me an idea of what could be wrong.

Thanks for the help man

i am not a condescending prick. i just see people make that mistake so often it drives me crazy. it's so easy

the other one that kills me is when people use their "breaks" to stop.

i did kinda blow up there tho, geez

If you get a weak spark that's very often dirty points or bad condenser. read the fred's guide in the wiki here:

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Fred%27s_Guide

and for more info on points

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Points#Common_Problems

the moped wiki in general has almost anything you need, and projectmopedmanual.org has the shop manual, between the two you should have a pretty easy time figuring your bike out fully.

i love sachs alot

find some folks nearby to ride around with and you can learn fast

enjoi

Thanks for the help man I'm going to follow the guide and see what happens.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account