Honda Express Legality

Here in Ontario a moped must have working peddles as one of the requirements for plates. Why do I see them on the road, with plates. Are the owners untruthful on their applications ? Just curious but, what do you express owners do ? bruce

Re: Honda Express Legality

Jamie Leonard /

Hmm.. have seen them myself and wondered the same thing... only thing I could think of (besides bending the truth on the application) is maybe they are grandfathered in somehow? (Not sure when the pedal requirement was added... could some have been registered before this?)

They must be registered as motorcycles or scooters. Here in NY if it can go over 30 mph it's a motorcycle, even if it has pedals. If it can't go over 30 it's a moped, regardless of whether or not it has pedals. My Honda express-SR scooter is registered as a moped and my Avanti Autopower, with pedals, as a motorcycle. The computers at the DMV won't let it be done any other way. Go try to figure out the mind of a bureaucrat.

In Ohio , a Honda express is considered a motorcycle. It must have a title to get a plate and the operator must have a motorcycle endorcement to ride it . Any moped that runs faster than 20mph or has more than 1hp is is considered a motorcycle and must be registered as such! There are many illegal mopeds runinng up and down the streets in Ohio!!!!

Jamie Leonard /

Nope - definitely was registered as a moped (the plates in ontario are quite easy to spot) - but from the different stories you get everytime you go to the MTO, I wouldn't be surprised if someone just didn't check before registering it (a lot of MTO employees have no idea about mopeds, and sometimes you'll get no hassle registering... some will try and apply all sorts of things that DON'T apply to mopeds at all in ontario (vehicle inspection, clean air certificate, used vehicle information kit, etc etc)

The one I saw had moped plates as well, and I think your right Jamie, the DMV is unsure about these things. I guess it depends on which clerk serves you. Heads you win , Tails you loose. bruce

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account