Re: 11th Annual MopedLar Ride....May 25th, NJ

Are you giving away any of your NOS Moby stuff? That alone would get me stoked...

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

^No, sorry, the NOS stuff stays with me.

The official distance of the ride is 62.45 miles. Please make sure your bikes are up for the challenge of such a long ride. Start doing your preventative maintenance now!

♣Slew Foot♣ /

my major concern lar is mine is a daily runner so its mileage will be up around there everyday till then, although nice to be fast.

there is the red bat. or the sachs both 25 stockers. i am on it. both should be good to go.

i remember running out of gas on the yellow bike like 4 blocks from the finishline.

remember to top off, or bring a can of gas with.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Whatever you bring, just make sure it's reliable. If it's a 25mph stocker that's fine, as long as you think it can make the ride with no forseeable breakdowns. The ride speed averages about 25 mph, so you should be able to keep pace with everyone.(edited)

My Guzzi makes 25 downhill, but if its about same speed as last year, I'll hang somewhere within 10 last bikes and peddle like hell uphills.... Its definately reliable, just slower than 3 legged pig.

I'm in.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Lauri, if I wasn't leading the ride, I'd be at the rear of the pack with my stock Motomarina Raven. I like seeing all the kitted bikes broken down on the side of the road as I go by at 25 mph ;-)

Jerry Franek /

I also prefer to trail most of the parade. Up front--you might as well be riding alone. 'Course you have RobK giving you dirty looks sometimes.

Two stoke fumes in the morning...

What to ride, what to ride...

Part of my job is to help keep the group together and allow no one to get lost or left behind. People trailing further and further behind a huge group doesn't work and isn't fair. The slowest bikes need to carefully move up through the ranks at stops, allowing people to pass them on hills. This keeps the group tighter.

The best way for the group to get safely from point A to point B is indeed together as a group. If more people were to learn the route and provide ride assistance, maybe it would be different.

Jerry Franek /

Rob, you make the rides safer and funner, I'm sure Larry appreciates all your help. A route map for serious delays would make it easier for you.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Jerry, I couldn't do the ride without Rob. Without him, there would be a lot more folks stranded on the side of the road. His technical expertise and ability to stay calm under pressure is second to none. One year, Rob led the ride and I acted in his capacity in the rear. It is not an easy job as I quickly found out. The next year I went right back to leading the ride again. Rob is the kinda guy who excels under pressure. A trait not many of us have. If he doesn't know how much I appreciate him, I'm sure he will now. Thanks for recognizing his participation. It's a thankless job that rarely gets the accolades that it deserves.

This year everyone will have printed turn-by-turn directions given to them. This will help to keep everyone together and make it an even more enjoyable experience.(edited)

Arnie Sparaco /

that will be awesome! this way if someone breaks down and they can fix it a couple of us can stay behind and help that person. than meet up at the next stop.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

^Exactly. This way you don't have to wait for the chase vehicle to show you the way.

Jerry Franek /

Oh boy, all this and a ride that starts on time.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

i can help with the herding, 4x rider. i kinda know the route and the tomos does a solid 40.

I want to make sure Larry, Kim & Rob ALL know how much we appreciate what they do for us on this ride EVERY year!

As a leader of a motorcycle club chapter for over 20 years Bobbie & I know how just much work and coordination this takes. This is my FAVORITE moped ride of the year because of their hard work and the fun and comeradarie that this ride fosters in ALL it's participants.

Kudo's my friends...can't wait to see you all again this year.

Moe

I really appreciate the thanks, but I am only a fraction of the team that makes this whole thing great.

Arnie, no offense, but one of the 2 tail gunners lends a hand to get the broken down bike(s) either quickly rolling again, or loaded on the trailer. All who can stay moving, will stay moving with the group. The less of a crowd there is on the side of the road, the better. There are stops along the route were McGyvering of more intense repairs can take place.

This is hands down the best ride of the entire year, and I think it's almost impossible NOT to have a good time.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

hey lar, how bout getting a bunch of those little dayglo dot stickers like the kindergarden teachers get, and mark all the turns with 'em before the ride, just a thought.

Arnie Sparaco /

Yea I understand that but if one of my friends break down I'm gonna pull over and help.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

arnie, there is a crew of peeps to help in the support vehicles, complete with loaners to get them back in the ride, meanwhile, the bike will be fixed while in transit if possible.

its a class act.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Arnie, there's nothing wrong with helping a buddy who has broken down during a ride. I have done it myself on other rides that I have attended. However, once Rob and the chase vehicle arrive, Rob has to make a decision whether to try and fix the bike on the fly, or put it up on the trailer until we get to Skoogey's at the half-way point and fix it there. Rob will have all the tools and technical expertise to make that decision. If you want to continue wrenching on a ped in spite of Rob's recommendation, then once the chase vehicle leaves, you are basically on your own. If you end up not being able to fix the bike, your buddy will be stranded until sometime AFTER the ride is over and you will have missed out on the experience of riding with 100 other riders. I'd hate to see that happen. The formula that we have used for the past 10 years has served us well.

Arnie Sparaco /

I gotcha! No problem! Larry I'm gonna be camping out in your yard again. That cool?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

That's fine with me.

Arnie Sparaco /

Awesome! Thanks! Do you have a lot of people camping out so far?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I haven't kept count, but you definitely won't be alone.

There are even additional riders in my area that will be pitching tents this year. It's gonna fill up.

Patrick Kearns /

Hopefully have my free spirit up and running for this. Last year was so fun!! This will be my 3rd year. Lar puts on the best ride!

Raymond Wright IV /

I will be attending and bringing my girlfriend for her first moped ride! 3rd year for me going strong!

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Ray, it's always nice when ride veterans introduce "new blood" to our ride. That's what keeps us growing stronger every year. Good work!

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

It's less than 4 weeks away. PM me if you need my address and/or other information re. the ride.

Aqua Dublavee /

I'm excited to ride with you guys again! If you bring a bone stock moped, get ready to be left very, very behind. I brought a stock ped last year and got to see vapors of white smoke for most of the ride. I'm preparing for this ride this year, with some go-faster parts!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account