Can Gas Go Bad? After How Long?

I have this scrapped honda that has half a tank of gas. It has been sitting outside for a years maybe, I dunno. Can I still take the gas and use it? or should i dispose of it? Just curious.

-Mark Ryan

Re: Can Gas Go Bad? After How Long?

Use it to start a pile of debris on fire. Or for washing really old socks that ya wanna throw away.

I wouldn't wanna run anything after it sat for one season; 3 months.

Thanks- I guess I'll just dispose of it.

Don Pflueger /

that gas is junk. probably full of condensation.

a few years back, i was in the briggs and stratton factory school and we did a failure/analysis course on fuels.

87 octane gas has a shelf life of about 30 days from the day it was refined. it may have sat on the delivery truck for two weeks before it reached the gas station. one of the biggest problems with not only the 87 octane, but all grades, is the additives used.

one of the biggest additives is alcohol. lower grades of gas have more alcohol added then higher grades do. alcohol attracts water, breaks down the fuel content, and evaporates quickly. it burns much hotter than the actual gas fumes do (keep in mind that gas is not flammable, it's the fumes/vapors that burn) and it burns in a really dirty way. and if your gas has ethanol, it's even worse. case in point;

my wifes van started acting up in the beginning of november. it would not start when cold unless i pumped the gas pedal while starting. unusual for a 2002 fuel injected vehicle. seemed like a choke problem. so i replaced all the throttle body sensors. not cheap to do. that did not fix it. within a weeks time, it got worse. finally it would not start at all. i pulled all the plugs and they were seriously fouled. so i replaced them thinking that maybe the air filter was bad (only maybe 1000 miles on it since i changed it) or they fouled from trying to start it over the last week. new plugs did not help either. i finally got it to start and run and told her to take it to my friends shop so he could plug it into the computer and tell me what was wrong.

the van didn't even make the 20 min drive, it broke down on the freeway. it only has 26,000 miles on it, so i was really stumped. turns out that once the diagnostics was run, the ethanol ratings on the computer were at 78%. they should never go higher than 20%. she got a bad batch of fuel. i had to then have every sensor on the engine block, except for temperature sensors for the cooling system, and the two oxygen sensors, AND the catalytic converter replaced because the ethanol burned them up. cost me another $439.00 on top of the other parts i replaced trying to figure out what was wrong.

WOW......

i guess that settles it.

Thanks don.

-Mark Ryan

Old gasoline has a very distinctive smell. Use it to clean parts with it

Maybe she got some of that E-85 stuff. I personally don't believe alcohol has any business in gasoline, and neither does any other mechanic I know. I also don't believe in that "energy conserving" oil with the friction modifiers in it. It has very little load bearing ability. I don't use it in my own vehicles, and we don't use it at work. Pure gasoline has a shelf life of about 3 months before I wouldn't use it anymore, stabilizer will help some, but won't make it last a year like it claims. I don't fill the tanks on my 2 cars and truck all the way up anymore, I can't afford to drive them enough to use all that gas up before it starts to go bad, so I fill the tanks about 1/2 full, and take turns driving them. Jerry.

OK, but we've all had tanks of gas in our cars for a mont before without problems, right?

I've run six month old gas in bikes, and you can definetly tell that something is not quite right, but it'll go fairly well.

From what i've read, six months, depending on storage method is a good rule of thumb for the upper limit of gas's usefulness. Keep this in mind during your zombie outbreak scenarios.

When I have old gas around that isn't too horrible I mix in a little fresh gas and put it in an old lawnmower. You want to remove the water before doing so though.

I've put bad gas in right at the pump, and went through a very similar problem that Don did. I spent alot of money before we drained the gas, and it runs perfect now!

Fuckhole Simmons /

Here's how you test if gas has gone bad in a moped, this is a really easy way, BTW, so you should try it before anything else. Light a match and drop it into the tank, if it burns it's good, if not it's bad.

NailheadRocketman /

Pure genius, and remember to put your face near the filler hole too. That way you can get a really good look to see how well the fumes combust.

Mike Monigold /

I've been running the E85 fuel in my 2000 Dodge minivan for about 3 or 4 months. I checked first on a government website to make sure that my engine is rated for the 85% alcohol, 15% gas blend. I can tell that the fuel runs hotter. It has an octane of 105. The exhaust has kind of a sweet smell to it - like when your radiator springs a leak and sprays antifreeze (also an alcohol mix) onto the hot exhaust parts. All in all, I like it and will continue to use it. I figure I'd rather pay farmers than Arabs.

My .02 worth on the subject.

It makes sense that it would run hotter, but that should be because the octane is lower, not higher. Higher octane fuels burn slower and tend to also burn cooler. Pure ethanol has a very low octane, and a lot less energy by volume than gasoline. I prefer to use what is best for my engine, which is 100% pure gasoline, available about 10 miles away, just across the county line. Propane or Butane would be even better, but I can't afford the conversion cost. It would never even come close to paying for itself on any of my vehicles. Jerry.

What about fuel stabalizer?

Mike Monigold /

I'm just going by the octane rating listed on the pump. I assummed that it would have to be accurate for it to pass state inspection.

Don Pflueger /

gas prices are ALWAYS accurate too. LMAO

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account