Define a Moped

twowheelers /

Due to the on going debate about what is considered a moped, can someone please quote a US definiton of a moped or a law that defines them. Or post a personal opinion.

Displacement, pedals/no pedals, horsepower limitations, weight limitations.. I think these are the things that define them, not bodywork. That's why most of them are "restricted".

RE: Define a Moped

Here is what I found in Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia:

"Moped, motorized two-wheeled vehicle that is smaller and lighter than a motorcycle. Also referred to as a motorbike or a scooter, the moped is a very economical form of transportation that is popular in Europe, Asia, and many other areas with warm climates and high fuel prices. In the United States, mopeds can be licensed for use on public highways and can also be driven on bike paths in certain areas. Some states allow persons as young as 15 years old to operate a moped with a special driver's license.

The weight, engine size, horsepower rating, and speed of mopeds are limited in most states. A moped typically weighs less than 60 kg (130 lb) and is powered by a small single-cylinder air-cooled gasoline engine (see Internal-Combustion Engine). Moped engines typically have a power output of 3 horsepower or less and are limited to a maximum speed of 48 to 56 km/h (30 to 35 mph).

...Variants of the moped include scooters, motor-assisted bicycles, and minibikes. Scooters tend to be slightly larger and heavier than mopeds. They use larger engines than mopeds and have a flat floorboard and step-through frame for easier mounting and riding. Motor-assisted bicycles are ordinary bicycles with a small add-on electric or gasoline engine that is mounted over wheels. The motor is used only when going up hills or when the rider is tired. Minibikes are small, two-wheeled recreational vehicles designed primarily for off-road use by 10- to 15-year-old riders (although adults sometimes ride these vehicles also). Minibikes may not be licensed for operation on public highways. They are often assembled from kits that include an engine, a simple rectangular frame, front forks, handlebars, and a seat."

I think this is a pretty wide definition.

yes i agree to what daniel says.

But it does not have to be -"Scooters tend to be slightly larger and heavier than mopeds. They use larger engines than mopeds and have a flat floorboard and step-through frame for easier mounting and riding."

it is true but only in america.

My rieju drac weigh more than 60kg (130 lb). Actully it weigh 85kg, and was liquid cooled. It was "restricted" to 2,7 hp but i pulled the "plug" so it had 8hp.

I dident make eny modificationes (! -bad eng i know) no larger carburator or what ever.

The moped i have now is a Yamaha dtr. It har only 1hp but i have also pulled the "plug" so it now has 2,5hp (i.e 60km/h)..also it a offroad....se it on www.reijumotor.com and press the DTRX link....

Here's how the California Vehicle code defines a moped. It's similar to the Federal definition.

406. (a) A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, and an automatic transmission and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground. (b) A "motorized bicycle" is also a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that meets all of the following requirements: (1) Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts. (2) Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than20 miles per hour on ground level. (3) Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than20 miles per hour.

So the horsepower,speed, pedals and automatic transmission clearly exclude any other type of vehicle with two wheels and a motor.

Honda Spree and Express, Mini-bikes, WhizzerCruzzerCyclones and motorboards

are not MOPEDS.

Jim

Dutch definitions are:

- 2KWatt Max.

- 45 Kph Max.

- Driver must wear a helmet and have a yellow plate on the front fender by law.

- Pedals/no pedals and frame type do not matter, neither does weight.

There are also 3-wheeled moped-vehikels available (some electrical), they have the same limitations as nromal mopeds. These are only used by criples and old people.

In sweden all new moped ...so called EU-moped

In the Province of Qu

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account