amf c-140

i just bought a 1980 amf c-140 with a minarelli motor , it tops out about 23 mph with a 11 tooth front sprocket, would using a 9 tooth front sprocket help bring the speed up , and help with climbing hills

thank you

Re: amf c-140

a smaller front sprocket will help with hill climbing, but it'll take away your top speed

I gotta see a pic of this one! C-140,eh?The AMF's we mostly hear about are tire-scrubber type RoadMasters.DougD of Virginia likes them and he may know something of this one too.Can you post a pic?........Usually,unless the engine severely lacks power,a smaller sprocket on the front slows you down compared to a larger one.So a bit larger is faster.You can also install a smaller rear sprocket.Those Minarellis generally have large rear sprockets because the engine is geared high.You will usually lose hill-climbing ability and take-off power with larger front sprockets.But it might enable you to pull short hills better if you hit them faster as you approach.Inertia,you know?

the motor runs fine, it just seems lazy,my 5 star with a minarelli motor has a 9 tooth front 42 rear , the amf wita a 11 tooth front and 42 rear, the five star will walk all over it

Probably got a better carb.jet and airbox on the General,don't ya?Possibly a bigger inlet of air thru the General's carb.Check the size,I.D.,of the intake pipe too.And possibly the muffler's clogged some on the AMF? Those Minarellis run like `scalded dogs'when they're set up right.Mine does.

you know your probally right don, i just got it yesterday and havent looked her over real good thanks

Okay,I hope that's it.Let us know! (:^)

Hey.... ck the normal things first that will slow you down: Low Tire Pressure, Rusty or Binding Chain, Oil Ratio,Too Much or Not correct Amount of Trannie Fluid,Brakes Dragging,Over or Under Jetted, theres lots of little things that can slow you down. Hey Don-O, I only have parts and "tricks" for the McCulloch AMF, thanks anyhow! Doug D. (VA)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account