tail light/brake light problems

Dave Gregory /

a few days ago i bought a tail light/ brake light at parts america. that night i out it on. then i decided to take it out a little in the dark to see if it worked good.... the tail light worked great but the brake light is constant. i reversed the polarity of it and it worked for a little while but then the whole thing stopped working. i opened it up and one of the filements was blown, so i put a new bulb in it. but that bulb isnt bright and you cant really see the brake light during day... any1 have any suggestions of how to make it brighter ???

~dave~

Re: tail light/brake light problems

What kind of bike?What volt magneto?What kind(wattage and voltage) of brakelight did it have before?Details,Dave!

Dave Gregory /

its a 77' sears freespirit (great ped). i dont remember what the tail light stuff was before because one day i rode a wheelee 2 high and broke the light off . then i just tossed it. the im using a 2-filement 12 volt heavy-duty auto bulb right now but its not bright.

ohhh, you're using a 12v bulb in a 6v system. the bigger auto parts stores should have a dual filament 6v bulb that should work okay.

TRY 6V #1154 car bulb... Doug D

Ron Brown /

Dave,

> i reversed the polarity of it and it worked for a little while

I am assuming from this, that you only have 2 wires hooked up. Your lamp requires 3 connections. one is the brake light power, one is the running light power and the third is ground to the base of the lamp.

If you want to measure the voltage with a VOM, it is AC.

Ron

hey try a brighter bulb.

that sounds bumd.. but there are some brighter bulbs.. like if your uses a standard 1157 then try the 3057 like form the new volvo's.. they are brighter then...

im sure your bulb is a pretty standard size and shape so you can probly find one that brighter that has the same shape and size. Ia slo have found that since 12 volt bulb are cheaper and easier to find I just use them.. don't know what long term effects or anything would be.. but so far I havn'et had any problems at all using a 12 volt bulb.. even though mine is 6 volt.. and it is plenty bright.

no it only has 2 wires because it is self-grounding

Ron Brown /

Dave,

I said 3 connections, not wires. Ground is a connection, however it is made.

The lamp has a fat filament for the brake and a thin fillament for the tail lamp, you connect to these from the solder spots on the base of the lamp. The other end of these two fillaments is tied to the lamp base, which must be grounded to the engine somehow.

Check all the connections and make sure your headlamp has the correct bulb and is working or the tail lamp will burn out.

Ron

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account