lost 2mph on Ciao

Over the winter I put new points, plug,& condenser in my 72 Ciao. I also replaced the jet with a new stock 43. I changed the carb jet because I had polked it clear of grit a few times and thought maybe it was bigger than it should be and a new jet was in order. It runs smooth but I lost 2-3 mph off my top speed. If the original jet was opened slightly by my cleaning would it give me that extra 2-3 mph or is the colder temperature outside slowing me down, I use to get 27-28 mph ,now only 24-25, bruce

Re: lost 2mph on Ciao

Is your exhaust getting clogged? My Ciao lost 5 or 6 mph when my pipe was older. Check your tire pressure also. When you reinstalled the engine, did you tension the belt properly?

I'm not sure about the muffler itself. I did take the head and exhaust off to clean the carbon out. Tire pressure is fine, and I set the belt using a 2kl/g weight at 315 cm. like the manual says. I sure would like to get those 2 mph back. Thanks Chris, I'll look up on how to 'burn' the carbon out of the muffler, bruce

Ron Brown /

Bruce,

If you still have the old jet, try it. If not, do a plug chop and see how your mixture looks. Make sure you did not change the timing when you replaced the points, check it.

Strangely enough, decarbonising an engine can sometimes slow it down because the carbon increased the compression ratio.

Checking/cleaning the exhaust is a good idea.

Ron

Ron, I still have the old jet and was going to put it back and see what happened. I buess you don't remember the hullabalu created 4 months back over points timing on a Ciao. Nice to hear from ya. bruce

Ron Brown /

Bruce,

So much time, so many ped problems....

Ron

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account