Finished my General 5-Star

Just wanted to share my first and longest moped project- I purchased my 1985 5-Star in Ohio from the original owner about two years ago, and have been in the process of modding and rebuilding it as cash / work / school have allowed. Anyway... I'm more or less done now, and am pretty satisfied with how the build turned out!

//PICTURES//

Build:

- V1 Polini Kit

- BRN Hi-Comp Head

- Weak-ends Intake

- Mikuni VM20

- Treats Puch Pipe (modded to fit)

- Stock crank (seals + bearings replaced ~300 miles ago)

- Stock V1 clutch w/ Ed's blue springs

Other shit:

- Custom upholstered marine leather seat

- Trail Tech Vapor

- 2.50" Hutchinson GP1s

- Folding Dremefa buddy pegs

- Drag bars w/ magura grips

- 12/42 gears , new chain

word

Re: Finished my General 5-Star

Very nice build sir! I'm slowwwly working on parts collecting for my 5 Star. Pain of a process...especially with 2 other bikes having priority.

low risers and id be in love.

Nice!

Very Nice ! Clean and civilized . Any top speeds yet ?

Looks great! Hope you enjoy her. How fast?

Wow I can really appreciate the effort that went into upgrading everything but staying true to the stock look. I second the speed question... how fast?!?!?

2 things:

1. A lot of people have General's running no front fender/no stabilizer. One of the Ohio guys blames a bad accident on that, stabilizers are hard to come by for those forks, but I just macguyvered a Puch stabilizer onto mine, do it for your own peace of mind.

2. How's that pipe?! Was it hard to get on? Does it rip? I've got the EV Racing Turbo on my General right now, but it's loud as FUCK. I'm thinking about taking the Tecno Estoril from my Tomos and throwing it on there, but never thought about modding Treat's Puch Pipe. (edited)

Love it. Only thing I'd change is those fork bottoms - black 'em out. Video and stats once you get it tuned in.

Well it's case-matched and my intake and exhaust have been slightly ported. max speed is about 55 mph @ 12/42 gearing according to my vapor. Plenty of low-end power thanks to ed's springs and the mid-range/top-end is fantastic with this pipe. Pulls really well at any point honestly... I love these Mikuni carbs.

I'm going to be opening up my exhaust port this weekend for a little more juice (widening 2mm, raising 1mm), we'll see where that takes me.

@a-hat definitely considering a fork stabilizer ; thanks for the heads-up. The pipe was low-key a bitch to mount... the flange on these treats pipes does not give you a whole lot of room to widen them to fit the V1 mount. I finally ended up ripping out the exhaust studs and just mounting it with allen bolts. That being said the pipe. RIPS. Quiet as fuck cannot hear it over my carb's filter screamin.

Here's an engine shot:

thanks for the posts yall

Great looking build..

Question: did you cut your fan cowl so you could fit a left mounted puch pipe? Or was there some other reason?

is that pipe mounted on the swing arm?

bike looks killer!!!!

lookin good!!

>>>taykoff [s2m] /

Nice work!....looks like you have done your research...enjoy the ride.

Pipes mounted directly to the swing arm and you cut the fan shroud so there's no cooling effect. Let me know how that exhaust leak and super hot cylinder temps work out for you.

I guess it's hard to see in the previous photos, but the pipe is actually not mounted to the swing arm... I re-used the stock General exhaust bracket. Just flipped the swing arm bolt to the left-hand side, lined up the puch pipe, and drilled a new mounting hole on the bracket. Spaced it out with washers to ensure I wasn't warping the header in any way and sealed it up with a BRN metal lined exhaust gasket (again, thanks Ed). No leaks.

Picture speaks for itself... the mount clears the swing arm and all shock travel.

As for the hacked fan cover... haha I can't really get out of that one! I had originally tried to mount the intake opposite how it is now, but ran into some clearance issues. Tried cutting away a piece of the fan cover to make it work but it just barely still didn't fit. Also had a puch circuit pipe on this bike before the treat pipe, and needed to cut off some of the bottom of the fan cover as well.

Since the fan's airflow was already compromised after this I just decided to cut everything off at the base gasket so I could maximize the kit's surface area to air-cool the bike (e50 style). This has proved to be an decent fix as I have been running the bike like this for over a year with no issues or seizes. Right now my plug looks great and my head temps max out around 375* after longer flat stretches. I expect they will drop further once my head is re-squished, and I get around to buying a new fan cover (waiting for my next paycheck).

Thanks again everyone, cheers! (edited)

i like how you recycled the logo. sweet looking bike

black and yellow (gold) !!

Cool.. so if I understand this correctly.. you cut the fan cover for initial clearance issues but no longer have that problem? As you plan on buying a new fan cover?

And just a heads up.. in my limited knowledge of mopeds.. if your doing 55mph (and if you intend to go faster), getting your head resquished will, per normal increase case pressure - but will increase the cylinder/head temperature as well.. you may want to leave it as is for a high rpm bike.. just my 2 cents, I could be wrong.

If you need a new fan cover check out Fan cover

time to clean up the wires

Looks killer, but I liked the fenders on it. Sick bike though!

Thanks dude.. yeah I'm bummed... I sold my front fender and regretted it immediately! rear one I still have but I kinda like it without the rear.

gonna be on the lookout for a new front one soon haha.

I got a front general fender if you want

Daniel Metal Ponies Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Cool.. so if I understand this correctly.. you cut

> the fan cover for initial clearance issues but no

> longer have that problem? As you plan on buying a

> new fan cover?

Yep, bingo. This current set-up would clear the V1 shroud but I just haven't got around to buying another cover yet as it wasn't severely affecting my tuning process. My head temps are definitely within safe values and I couldn't be more pleased with the Polini's performance... I'm coming up on 700 miles on this kit soon and my cylinder walls are still as shiny as ever (maybe I have amsoil saber to thank for that though!). I will be getting an NOS cover soon, and am curious to see how it affects the cooling compared to my current set-up.

> And just a heads up.. in my limited knowledge of

> mopeds.. if your doing 55mph (and if you intend to

> go faster), getting your head resquished will, per

> normal increase case pressure - but will increase

> the cylinder/head temperature as well.. you may

> want to leave it as is for a high rpm bike.. just

> my 2 cents, I could be wrong.

Hmm ... I hear ya. The thing is, these BRN heads though advertised as "80-90cc heads" have a pretty small combustion chamber that's really more suitable for 50cc kits. Adjusting the squish in this case would basically be enlarging the chamber to better match the 47mm bore of the Polini kit, which should decrease my case pressure and head temperatures. (correct me if I'm wrong here??)

Not to mention the casting quality is pretty sketch, like all other BRN products. Graham Motzing has more info on these heads, which you can read in his review on treats .

but who knows I might just clean up the chamber's casting flaws and leave it as is...Thanks for your posts dan, great feedback!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account