TRUCK YEAH/ cheap paint job

I'm in the process of a complete paint job and rebuild of my 79 magnum. Here's the catch: I'm rattle-canning it with truck bed liner. The reason for this is that i wanted it matte black, but to do a proper HPLV gun type paint job with 2k so that it's fuel resistant would be nearly impossible. then one day it hit me, "Truck bed liner!" The first coat is on the plastics, forks, brackets, and such. Waiting for my tank to come back (a friend is welding up a leaky spot) so I can paint it too. Here's some current pics, i will update when i have more.

Total cost so far: $11

The toaster was just a test to see if i liked the texture.

photo.JPG
222.jpg
photo (1).jpg

Re: TRUCK YEAH/ cheap paint job

the problem comes when its time to clean it

Sons of GROMarchy /

Wipe with a wash cloth?

πΏπ‘–π‘˜π‘Ž-πΏπ‘œπ‘‘π‘Žπ‘ π‘Žπ‘’π‘Ÿ π‘€π‘’π‘”π‘Žπ‘π‘’π‘  πŸ¦– /

This dude put that bedliner all over his Batman Tomos na na na na na naaaanaaa batman naaanaaannaaaaa on a tomos naaa an...

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,3103904

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Bed liner. Seriously?

You might want to actually check it to be sure it IS fuel proof.

it might not wash off the bed liner but i'd almost put money on it that it will change the finish where the fuel hits it.

You don't need to use hvlp to get a nice paint job on small shit like a moped.

go to your local auto parts store and pick up a can of Dupli-color Perfect match automotive touch up paint in your favorite color.$6. Then go to where they sell PPG products(ask around at the local body shops where they get their paint from. they can also put any color you want in a spray can) and you can get a can of clear coat that has hardener in it, and you can spill fuel on it all day long.

it's a special can that has a pin in the bottom of the can that releases the hardener into the clear inside the can. once the hardener is released, you have like 24 hours to spray it. any left over will harden in the can.. i think it is a 16oz can and sprays like a paint gun, not like a can of hair spray. well worth the $26

As usual, any paint job is only as good as the prep work. use a high build sandable primer. wet sand with 400-600. re-primer again if needed and wet sand again. once you have it all nice and dreamy smooth, clean and dry it well, then hit it with a few coats of the color base coat after blowing off any dust before spraying. Do NOT sand the base coat. then hit it with the clear coat. you should put the clear on within 24 hours of the base color to get a good bond. ever seen cars from the 80's with the clear flaking off?

The clear comes out of the can very heavy. be careful not to spray too heavy that it runs. use a light to observe the "gloss" as you spray. lay it on just heavy enough that it flows, smoothing out the 'orange peel'.

Dont do like most cans say and spray from 12 inches away. it just wastes paint and ends up with a dry finish and orange peel. 6-8 inches away starting before one side of the part as you move to the other end and past the part, moving moderately quick. if you do have any imperfections after it drys, you can wet sand with 1000-1500, and buff with polishing compound.

i've done many motorcycles over the years with 'spray bombs' and nobody ever believes i did it with a can till they actually see me do it.

if you want to destroy yet another vanishing classic REAL moped, spray that bed liner shit all over it. maybe you can get a 5 gallon bucket of it and just pour it on. you should feel real proud of what you've just done when you stand back and look at it.

Or you can just do it right for not much more money.

πΏπ‘–π‘˜π‘Ž-πΏπ‘œπ‘‘π‘Žπ‘ π‘Žπ‘’π‘Ÿ π‘€π‘’π‘”π‘Žπ‘π‘’π‘  πŸ¦– /

straight up ^

i wouldnt use that bed liner for bed liner

In a few months that bed liner will look like shit. If you want flat black, just use some flat black. The good thing about flat black is if it ever chips or scratches, you just spray some more on. If you get fuel on your tank, just let it dry before you wipe it raw.

hmmmm might do this on the underside of my fenders on my new project. Also for the record, Bed liner does NOT like excessive heat. Please keep it away from hot parts. Also i know some are oil resistant but can't say much for gas. Had this stuff in the bed of my elcamino (herculiner). I put that bed though a beating and feared to carry nothing. Unless i dragged sharp metal against it it did not chip or flake. As long as you like it, thats the important part. Best of luck be sure to let me know how it ends up back together.

my buddy bedlined a maxi. it's pretty tough stuff. gas cap area's fine i think.

and i thought we were always trying to shave a little wight for that extra .5 mph.....

this is fucked, i have been looking for a magnum for years, and retards just stumble across them and fuck them up daily.

how do you remove bed liner? does it resist media blasting? maybe a chemical stripper would work.

wow i just looked at this kids profile. he says he inherited the magnum, and in the pic it looks clean as fuck with OG paint.

Sons of GROMarchy /

LOL @ people getting upset at paint job choices on a stupid moped. News Flash: it's a moped.

Do what you want kid, just to spite them. You're my hero.

^^ yeah, if the old man were still around, he'd probably have wished he'd pulled out when he saw what junior did with his moped.

im not opposed to the bed liner, but i really think its gonna stain up just like flat black spray-paint. Since when is satin clearcoat for a hvlp gun impossible?

Looks good, post a photo of the whole bike when you're done.

What's wrong with wanting a custom moped? Nobody seems to get angry at a hot pink magnum with chopper bars. I believe that this is going to look good, and yes it is fuel proof (i tested it extensively before spraying anything.) I'm mainly doing this paint job to cover up the loads of rust and scraped paint already on this particular magnum. If im going to go through removing the rust off the outside of the tank, I'm going to keep it off. There will also be some cream/white trim or pinstripe around the body pieces. I will have the build done in a week or two depending on how much time I have.

Please dont use the word 'custom' to describe pouring bed liner on as paint.

It's embarrassing to those that spend weeks doing actual custom paint.

Shit looks straight redneck.

Bobby Sims Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> this is fucked, i have been looking for a magnum

> for years, and retards just stumble across them

> and fuck them up daily.

Here are the forks and rim so far. Sava MC11s in the mail. I dont know about yall, but i think this looks pretty damn good for less than $10. And It's pretty much un-scratch-able.

DSC_45022.jpg
DSC_45002.jpg
DSC_45042.jpg

Rock on dude, I'm actually impressed how smooth it seems to be coming out. Let the haters hate, fuck um' do you.

Sons of GROMarchy /

I bet if you showed up to a rally nobody would say SHIT about it.

I think it looks good and had considered something like that myself on a rat project. Good for you for not being a group "individual".

H8ERS GONNA H8

bobby i've had 5 magnums and dont give a shit about them at all at this point

get out of 2007 and you might start enjoying actually cool mopeds with actually cool engines

blake: why the fuck would you use truck bed liner? so dumb. any high-temp flat black paint will resist fuel pretty damn well. also automotive paint which you can get just about anywhere does a great job of resisting fuel

or are you being ironic by making your ped uglier than one with fuel damage by covering it with the most hideous surface known to man (edited)

But it's been in a barn for 50yrs.............

Bobby Sims Wrote:

> this is fucked, i have been looking for a magnum

> for years, and retards just stumble across them

> and fuck them up

Its just a magnum, who fucking cares. Cut this shit in half just for the fun of it. Fuck mopeds.

Here's the completed front end, minus bars. Plus the trunk is done being painted (notice the white accent)

photo (1).JPG

Sons of GROMarchy /

Andy Simpson Wrote:

> Its just a magnum, who fucking cares. Cut this

> shit in half just for the fun of it. Fuck mopeds.

I can't wait to buy a Magnum just to light it on fire.

I like that you can throw it in the bed of an unlined truck, and not worry about scuffing up the truck as much.

xxXxXX XxxxxxXX /

WillD SWOOP Wrote:

> I like that you can throw it in the bed of an

> unlined truck, and not worry about scuffing up the

> truck as much.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account