Batavus Clutch Problem

Zachary Price Carpman /

Just picked up a variated batavus ped that I don't know much about. It has a new carb and has plenty of spark the only issue is the starter clutch it seems. When I pull the start lever and go to pedal to start the engine does not engage and or turn over. The starter cable seems plenty tight and the clutch is indeed being pushed in but the engine refuses to turn over! i am new to this type of moped so any help would be great. i might sounds stupid in my description but I hope someone can decipher it. Thanks again.

Re: Batavus Clutch Problem

Zachary Price Carpman /

Couple more details, it was running last year but all the sudden it wouldn't turn over. It is a batavus VA i think its a 1977, double seat, and its sick.

did you seize it? Stupid answer. Will the engine itself turn over.

Zachary Price Carpman /

Yes it will turn itself over definitely not seized just seems to not engage fully almost like it is slipping when i pull the start and pedal

tighten the cable?, i have bat clutch parts but i think they're for the laura 56 not the 48 that your VA has, also.. it's one speed. bummer.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

batavus clutch blowout.

batavussm049.jpg

Zachary Price Carpman /

What could of gone wrong in that clutch? If I take the clutch apart today what should I look for being wrong? Also where the hell can I find a replacement! hah

I have that whole assembly above if you wanna buy it off me for 35 shipped. Its new old stock also have tanks reeds carbs and plastics

I have a cltch too if needed but this may be as simple as the drive belt slipping

If you have the clutch cover, take it off and try to start it. When you pull the starter lever and push the pedal, does the inside of the clutch turn? Probably not, from what you're saying. Is the outside bell of the clutch turning? If so, the clutch may be worn out. If not, the drive belt is slipping. If you need help with that, get back to us.

Zachary Price Carpman /

When i pull the start lever and pedal the clutch itself spins a bit then slips then spins and slips. The flywheel on the other side does the same thing, spin, stop, spin, stop. I can hear the piston moving a bit when it does in fact grab but it certainly is not enough for the engine to turn over. The drive belt visibly looks loose to me, but like I said I am new to variated drives. I tightened the starter clutch cable and it certainly depresses the clutch enough. So maybe it is the drive belt? If so how would I go about tightening that? Thank again for the responses this is awesome and I really cant wait to get this thing running again!

First thing you need to do is familiarize yourself with this:

http://www.mopedriders.org/html/manuals/batavus/csm/batavuscsm.htm

Unfortunately, the instructions on adjusting the drive belt are on page 26, one of the missing ones. So, here goes:

1. Take off the side covers.

2. locate the engine mounting nuts on both sides of the engine. It's pretty obvious which they are.

3. Loosen the mounting nuts, but don't remove them.

4. On (I think) the left side there's an adjusting screw. Loosen the locknut and tighten the screw to move the engine slightly forward, tightening the belt.

5. Tighten the locknut.

6. Tighten the engine mounting nuts.

7. Replace the side covers.

If the belt is old and glazed, you might consider replacing it. It's a size 13A0815. Gates 9319, Dayco 17320, Goodyear 17321.

Hey I picked up an HS50 and rode it for the summer, same exact issue

Anyone know the right belt for M48 on an HS50?

Id also be interested in a tank or perhaps clutch assembly

Wrong forum (Repairs) and there are no

fallout Survivor /

there are no variated Batavus VA mopeds.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

unless some one put a peugot engine in there with a belt tensioner.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account