Drive chain tensioner/roller?

Okay, so I'm changing the sprockets on my Columbia commuter. I put a smaller rear sprocket on, just to have the bolt for the swing arm to get in the way. So is it possible to put a chain-tensioner-type device on the drive chain to lift it up above bolt? I know that tensioners are usually used for pedal chains. Anybody try this before?

Re: Drive chain tensioner/roller?

Bump

not a tensioner, but an idler sprocket, YES

Lift it at the rear? Can you show a picture? This may help:http://www.bikermetric.com/2010/05/techtips-4-skateboard-wheel-chain.html

I'll put a picture up tomorrow.

The top part of the chain is the one I'm worried about. That has to be listed about 1/3 of the way back from the front sprocket so that it goes around the bolt for the swing arm. Reading the article at the link, it sounds as if you are not supposed to used something such as this on the top part of the chain. Would it be detrimental to performance if I put an idler type sprocket on the top chain in order to raise it? We are talking about only .5 inch. Or should i get more creative and try moving the chain further out from the bike somehow?

RADIUM CITY JO$HUA /

You shouldnt use a tensioner on the top side of the chain.

Okay, so this is what i'm dealing with. With the chain properly tensioned, it is closer than 1/2 inch to that nut in the center of the picture. Seeing as i would be using the tensioner to raise the chain less than .5 inch higher than this, would it be doable? it wouldn't be a spring mounted tensioner. Probably be a skateboard wheel mounted on that bolt so the chain can run over that instead of the bolt.

IMG_0517.jpg

RADIUM CITY JO$HUA /

When you sit on the bike the chain will be raised further from that nut. Dont worry about it.

Well I found a way to essentially raise the rear swing arm using different oly holes to attach the shocks to the swing arm. Now the top of the chain clears everything.

But my shocks really don't work. Dropping my ass down onto the seat as hard as I can only leads to half an inch of deflection. Just sitting on it does not cause any deflection in the shocks.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account