Running a rear brake only?

Due to some difficulty with my front brake-hub on my five-star mags, I'm considering running only a rear brake. I know, it's not technically legal; It's just cost-effective for me. My question is, will I still have enough stopping power still? I'll be hitting 30-35 mph. I don't care if it's illegal, but I'm still safety-minded. Thanks, guys.

Re: Running a rear brake only?

NO. Front brakes are 75% of your stopping power.

Salsa Salsa /

No that's dumb.

But try it and see if you feel comfortible with it.

Remember if the cable snaps. . . You'll have no brakes, and normally cables snap when you pull the hard at high speeds.

Rear brake only will take more than twice the distance to stop compared to both brakes. It is very dangerous.

Be aware that the front brake provides 70 to 100 percent of the stopping power of a motorcycle.  With that in mind, you want to practice using more front break than rear.  An ideal situation is to have a balance between the front and rear brakes, with about 70% of the emphasis on the front.

Speed

Braking Distance

90 MPH

300 feet

80 MPH

238 feet

70 MPH

182 feet

60 MPH

134 feet

50 MPH

93 feet

40 MPH

59 feet

30 MPH

33 feet

20 MPH

15 feet

10 MPH

4 feet

With no front brakes that almost triples!

Ok. Thanks for the input. I would rather be safe than sorry, so that makes sense.

I'm gonna head into my shop to see if my front and rear brake hubs can be switched, cause I'd much rather run a front brake with no rear brake.

Salsa Salsa /

Jonah Stahl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ok. Thanks for the input. I would rather be safe

> than sorry, so that makes sense.

>

> I'm gonna head into my shop to see if my front and

> rear brake hubs can be switched, cause I'd much

> rather run a front brake with no rear brake.

you should ask Nole about running just a front brake.

Well, they can't be switched, as I thought. Guess I'll have to get crafty when the time comes.

@corn Why? What happened?

Salsa Salsa /

his throttle stuck open and he hit his only brake (front brake), since his throttle was still wide open it kept pushing the bike and caused the front wheel to turn and skid, throwing him over the handle bars and braking his collar bone. it was right when he unloaded his bike at the peddy cash rally, he had to sit inside the whole rally watching movies.

:( you dont wanna be a sad panda like Noel

I did this because i broke my front cable and obviously still needed to get to work. So i did this for 5 days almost died ALOT!!!! This is dumb, Just like me.

I had only Front brakes on the

77 puch, no need for rear so I

thought , on a 22t Tomos on the

rear mild porting with rat tail

file , she did 60+.with a little lite

RAIN & s.Fla humidity@ aCAR

making a Left turn Fucked up

my world.12 days in ICU

I'll. Show the Damage in MIDMO

if you will be there. The Crash

happenr in 78 ,I think front&

rear brakes will give you a better

chance to avoid meeting your maker

I met HIM ,@ HE said go get GOOD

brakes ,we will meet AGAIN

Bump for u kid.

why don't you post what problem your having to help fix it.....

I think it's to late .

My crash was in 1978.

Fix the brakes!

Befor you ride?

Thanks,

Mike

♣Slew Foot♣ /

unless its a sachs with the footbrake. it is like reversed on that bike 80% rear, 20% front.

never run just a front brake, first time you stop at a light in the rain, a little oil, on the ground.

if you blow out your rear tire you would be done too.

you do not want to clown around with bad brakes.

12 days in ICP, man , I feel for you.

jOHNNY凸 dOUBE⟴ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 12 days in ICP, man , I feel for you.

how much faygo did you drink?

DAM Kevin Boyd /

my front brake snapped the other day while i was riding, i rode it the rest of the way to get it home. i just stopped waaaaay earlier, when i knew i had to stop. i got it home, ordered a new brake cable, and didn't touch it until it was fixed. DON'T FUCKING RIDE WITHOUT IT.

This whole article just scared the crap out of me lol: snapping brakes? EEEEK! All i ever worry about is the tire bursting while riding (happened once before with a NEW tube, must've installed it incorrectly) almost lost control.

I would definaely do whatever you gotta do to get both brakes set up. Safety is number one and you can never quite trust your moped 100%.

In all honesty, I don't know how you street-riders do it on those busy roads. I'm man enough to admit that would scare the heck out of me. Side-streets for me only!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account