Whats up w/ the Old Mikuni VM17-18?

has anyone messed around with the older style Mikuni VM17-18 clamp style carbs?

Planning on using one for a V1 build

Just looking for some insight

Thanks

Re: Whats up w/ the Old Mikuni VM17-18?

anyone out there got one of these?

Beard Road Bruiser (SoB) /

I have an old old 14.

Yep, got the pieces from the vm off my AR 80. Clamp. Old. What you want to know?

i like waffles /

I have two, they are nice, work well like any mikuni. Use the same large hex main and idle as the vm 18. No idea what they were originally on, but mine are a pair off some kind of 2 cylinder bike as they have the pilot screw on opposite sides. Mine came with an odd needle which is a 4j4, didn't have any specs on jets r us. The idle adjustment is different than the modern mikunis. All in all sweet carbs.

whats a good jet range to start with? Didn't find anything on the wiki tuning spread sheets and there isn't much info out there! ya I found a VM 18 that I scrapped parts from but looking to see what the stock jets were and what people are putting them on(mopeds/Kits) I found mikuni tuning guides but cant find anything that looks like the one I have.

I got a bunch of jets for my VM20 that work but I think they will be to High!

Didn't have a jet for the VM 17-18 to start..

Thanks

i like waffles /

uhm well i dont know what you are running, but my setup is a av7 with a 74cc airsal kit with stuff done, a weird exhaust, and a uni filter on a intake pipe, i run a 125 main and a 12.5 idle. oh yeah i think we talked about dis months ago. The needle is the odd part since theres no real specs listed but i think mine is on the 2nd richest setting, maybe richest setting i cant rememnber

I just picked one of these up off some old 2t 80cc dirt bike thingy, good to know they use standard vm20 jets!

I've got one on my Pinto with a four petal Polini kit. I had to make my own intake, but a section of the stock exhaust header and some heater core hose worked great. No leaks, tunable and very responsive. Mine came off a 66 Bridgestone DT 175. The only draw back is that there is not much of a lip to put an air filter on it.

Finally got some jets for this carb in the right range, It needed a good cleaning. still needs to tuned. has anyone else played with one of these lately? just trying to learn little things that I might be able to try.

air filters?

just change the jets until it works right.

or change air filters until it fits right

Kill yourself Parker.

Evan, this original post is almost year old and I have learned a great deal about mopeds since then. the Air Filter Question is asking if someone found something that fit because its not a carb that was designed to hold a air filter it had a box of some sort. and I bet ya not many people have also tried one of these either!

if you knew anything about the carb that I am speaking of or mopeds you would understand what I am talking about. you chime in to everything that you can just to say something. I have been on your side a bunch when people start talking shit about ya. but know I'm going to join riggs.

anyone can fix a tomos and put a biturbo and a 15 bing on it!!!

Shut the fuck up!

whats the O.D. for the air filter????I dont have the carb in hand to measure!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account