Checking Coils

Hi folks,

I have a sack-full of old coils around, mostly from Puchs but, one or two CEV's from a Tomos. Can someone tell me how to check them with multi-meter? I used to have the manual around that detailed this process, but I have misplaced it. I looked in the resources section but didn't find anything on checking coils with multimeters. Any help is appreciated. By the way, I am still in the market for a child's motorcycle for my nephew. If anyone wants to trade for 1 or more Puch mopeds, talk to me.

Dave

Re: Checking Coils

if I am not mistaken... you can take them to an auto parts store... and they have a machine they hook it to and watch for a big spark to jump a gap... which is the best test there is.

Its been years since I saw this... but I imagine they still do it.

Go to an old store (preferably with an old guy running it).

orrr... slap them on a running bike and see if it still runs.

The multi-meter test is less than acceptable proof for me.

Dave..... are you asking, because you want to sell me a Tomos ignition coil??

Hrmmmm.... I hope they work!! Indeed!

If I do part this stuff all out, I'll probably do it it one big lump on Ebay. I will let you guys know when.

Ron Brown /

Dave,

Because of problems caused by shorted turns and high voltage breakdown, checking a coil with a mutimeter can only tell you a coil is bad. Use the following to prove it is good.

Ron

To test the coil, connect a spark plug from the plug wire to coil ground, connect an ignition condensor (any will do for this test) between the points terminal and coil ground. Connect the negative of a 6V battery to coil ground and touch the points terminal momentarily with the positive lead. This should give you a spark at the plug.

where is a coil at on a moped?

Ron Brown /

Andrew,

Follow the wire from the spark plug, the coil is at the other end.

Ron

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account