Is some oil on the bottom of crankcase normal?

i have went and looked at a couple of bikes in the past few weeks and they both have some oil on the lowest portion of the motor. is it normal or am i just attracted to leaky broken bikes? one was a cb160 and the other was a pa50II that im leaning toward buying.

I am a bicycle mechanic looking to get into motorbikes. with the help of youtube ive learned a lot lately about fuel and spark but Im still a beginner at gas power.

also the owner of the hobbit couldn't get the thing to stay running without the choke on, and since it has the auto choke shutoff attached to the throttle we couldn't actually ride it. he seemed to think the points needed service. does this sound reasonable?

he wants to sell it for $500, it looks pretty clean except for a few stripped or missing screws and bolts (and the oil sheen on the bottom of the engine) and it has most of another donor bike to go with it. do you think I should go for it?

i know its unreasonable but 4 stroke is important to me because im going to be riding dirty and id like to be low key and quiet. Ive been commuting 20 miles a day on my surly crosscheck for the last 2 years and its getting pretty old. ill still ride the bicycle in the summer and on nice days, but id really like to have a reliable and low key motor to get myself to work in the long winter months up here in cascadia.

thanks.

Re: Is some oil on the bottom of crankcase normal?

Probably just blow back. Or needs new gaskets. Offer him $250 cash but I would pay more than $300 If it won't stay running and has known issues. You are about to embark on a journey if you buy a moped be prepared to be confused, upset, an broke.. Often. Ha

im pretty sure $300 wont fly, and small motorcycles are pretty popular in seattle. he says that it runs better when it is fully warmed up. and it does come with lots of spares. here is a pic. still think i should pass?

thanks.

hobbit moped 1.jpg

The running with choke on sounds like an air leak. It could be an easy fix or it could need a full rebuild. Either way Make a low offer. Look at every little thing that is missing or broken and take off from the price. If it needs new tires, full engine rebuild, new cables, new belt, etc.

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

My earlier post vanished, but my bike has some oil in the case, it's dried or shrunken seals allowing transmission oil to migrate into the crank area.

No biggie to fix.

Lets be honest, the fifth time you clean that hobbit carb, it will idle.

They ALL come like this......when you get your first one.

SEARCH Honda hobbit carb issues, you'll see a million threads on ,'no idle without partial choke', and when the bike ran right, it's because behind the welch plug needed cleaning with a guitar string like 4 x minimun..

i guess i should have asked "is some oil on the underside of the motor normal?". but i think i got my answer anyway. im gonna pass on it.

thanks all.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account