Just bought a 1978 Sachs Westlake

Well, today i picked up a 1978 Sachs Westlake in a remote town in Northern Ohio. The ped runs, but rough. It will only run properly with choke. Other than that the bike is in surprisingly good condition, virtually no rust. I bought the bike for 190 dollars, considering you guys are the experts, how well did i do in buying this moped? Good deal?

Re: Just bought a 1978 Sachs Westlake

bump

Pics?

Pics right here! Just taken, and it's dark and wet outside... so if the pics aren't that great, I'm sorry.

DSCF0299.JPG
DSCF0300.JPG
DSCF0301.JPG

runners for under 200 aren't a bad thing.

your missing your air filter, thats prob what's making it run rough.

Is there a way i can make my own airbox/filter so i dont have to drop 60 dollars for it stock?

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

Probably easier to put in a larger jet in the carb.

It's probably the carb needs ajusted i think.

fallout Survivor /

Since you are missing the air filter with will tend to reduce the air to fuel ratio, Occum s razor dictates that this is the most likely cause.

You can experiment with rubber bands and layers of panty hose to restrict the air flow or possibly up jet, or construct your own custom air box....

themopedjunkyard has fairly high prices so you might try ebay or a the for sale in moped army.

I'll experiment with pantyhose tomorrow and then I'll see where I'm at. Thanks for the help

Search the forums for soda bottle air box. A few months back, someone posted pics and such about an airbox they made to fit the square bings on the Sachs'. Not the prettiest, but it apparently it works.

Check out this thread...

Soda Bottle Air Box

Hey thanks man this is really helpin me out right now this is what i needed

Well i got it to idle good, but it still will not rev without the choke, if i try to rev the engine then it bogs and dies immediately.., but if the choke is on then it will rev no problem. How do i fix this?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account