Defeated by PA50

Yet again, I have succumbed to defeat by my 78 Honda PA50. Last night, I took the engine off and cleaned the carb very thoroughly. Everything was fine. The reed valve wasn't sticking, nor was the float. I put it all back together, and i know i put it back together right. I put the wires back together perfectly unlike last time. I checked the petcock and gas is getting through. I also have an in-line fuel filter on it.

I hopped on it, turned it on & peddled, but nothing happened. I looked down, and gas was all over the ground. All of the gas is just going straight through the carb and out the little drainage tube coming from the bottom of the float bowl. Its as if I just hooked the petcock up to the drainage tube. Why is this happening? I would really like to get this ped up and running.

Re: Defeated by PA50

fuck it, i hate this moped. I'm selling it for parts.

lol

david f martin /

Hey, I have a PA50 that doesn't run, too! Wanna race?

david

david f martin /

No, wait a minute, mine doesn't have any pedals. Never mind.

david

You put the float bowl on backwards

The float bowl will go on 2 ways... if you pick the wrong one by mistake.. it causes the overflow pipe (in the bowl) to interfere with the float moving up and down.

It is a flaw in the design.

What I did was I filed a small groove in the edge of the carb and bowl when they are assembled so its easy to tell which way is correct the next time.

Thats what is making the float stick in the up position.

If its for sale.. is it a PA50I or PA50II (it says on the sticker behind the headlight on the right side).

Re: You put the float bowl on backwards

it's a pa50 I, why?

Why ?

Because I might want some parts off it.

But I would rather have parts ofrf the II.

is there a big difference?

As far as I know.. the seat, cylinder, and reed valve are the difference.

The II goes bout 28mph stock.. the I goes 21mph stock.

But... are you gonna check the float bowl ?

no, i'm not, because it ended up being more than the carb. i just got a new moped and want to get another old moped, i'm not too fond of the pa50. you sure you don't want anything off mine that isn't a seat, cylinder or reed valve?

float bowl on backwards

Where do you live anyway /

And... I meant to ask.... you were mixing oil with the gas weren't you ?

Re: float bowl on backwards

i live in vermont and yes, i'm not stupid, i was mixing the gas and oil at the right ratio.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account