Tools needed for V1 rebuild ?

I know I need the case splitter tool, and I made a clutch puller. Are there any other special tools I will need for a full rebuild ?

Re: Tools needed for V1 rebuild ?

Wolf Wizard /

Flywheel puller. Don't hammer it off that can hurt it. AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD SNAP RING PLIERS. ugh I only had a crappy pair and Let's just say I had a bad day.

Good luck.

flywheel puller

clutch puller

case splitter

cleaning agents and...

elbow grease.

These are the ones I've got and have used for years.

flywheel puller

clutch puller

case splitter

Awesome. I only need the case splitter then. Already pulled the flywheel and made a clutch puller. Those damn snap rings suck and I bought a decent set of pliers too.

Looks like the V1 has to sit for a week or 2 while I order more tools.

I got 2 cases to split... anyone wanna rent me a splitter for the week it'll take to mail it back and forth? or can I just somehow manhandle it without one?

first couple rebuilds never had a case spitter, still dont. just tap the crank(with nut on) and pedal shaft evenly. a 3 jaw puller on magneto side works like a charm

Wolf Wizard /

I did not even use the three jaw for my first. But it dose work, I used a leather mallet.

ugp * ๐Ÿงช /

Im doing a total rebuild, a small toaster oven will do the trick with a rubber mallet!

Nathan Wohlfeil Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I did not even use the three jaw for my first. But

> it dose work, I used a leather mallet.

You pulled that Unicorn apart with a leather mallet? Man, you're crazy!

to do the job right and not risk fucking anything up, you should really use a case splitter. the first v1 I rebuilt I used heat and a mallet but after that I bought a case splitter and life's been good.

birdsy โ€”โ€” /

+1 for 3-jaw puller on the stock CEV flywheel, later on i bought the flywheel puller and ended up selling the bike a week later, doh.

somehow i missed out on that case splitter too, i did heat + rubber mallet.

I got lucky and scored this the other day.. NOS V1 tool kit...

You can do it with a head gun and a dead blow mallet. The puller only works for getting it apart, you still have to put it back together and the heat gun works wonders then.

Update:

Mapp gas and a dead blow hammer with my new $250 3ton Arbor press from Northern tool with 3 hrs total work. Fully rebuilt and no air leaks (except for the carb seal).

For any noobs~ crack that shit open and rebuild your own motors. I had no fucking clue as to what I was doing and I finished it from pulling the motor off the frame to cranking it back up in 4 hrs 15 mins with no help at all.

The Reverend Defecator /

Oh man when I had to pull the clutch on my V-1 it took a heatin' and a beatin' like I never thought something that small should take. Actually bent the clutch plate. So don't over-tighten before beating !

Did you buy that treats v1 rebuild kit Aaron?

Yep.

Jason Jason Bobason /

So you got it running now?

YEP !!! Well pretty much. The carb won't seal right and I gave up after my air leak test. Everything is great except the carb/intake seal. Maybe a bad shim or something. I will know in the morning.

Wanna ride tomorrow Jason ?

Perfekt Timing Angel /

You guys forgot the most important thing!

Da Beerzzzzz!

A mallet and a punch set will get you far if'n you don't have a splitter. Watch out for all 'dem shims that bangin' and ruckusin' gonna create!

Also, flywheel puller and clutch puller are a must. The three-jaw will mangle yer flywheel, so don't do it, ok?

MAPP gas for everythang else!

« Go to Topics โ€” end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account