How fast can a kitted bike go?

So I have just gotten into the world of moped after owning a '59 Lambretta Series 2, '65 Vespa Super (with a P200 motor w/ racing exhaust), and a '65 Honda CB160. I know with Lambs and Vespas when all kitted and tuned up you can damn near top out at 100mph (and cruise at 60-70mph)

I have been researching motors and kits and it seems like the biggest kit you can get is a 77 or 80cc kit. How fast can a kitted/tuned moped go?

P.S. what I really loving about custom mopeds are that you can build them into hard core vintage cafe racers which is 100x cooler than a Vespa. I just wished I knew about this 5 years ago..HAHA

Re: How fast can a kitted bike go?

Beard Road Bruiser (SoB) /

I'll trade you my fast as shit Cafe'd out Hobbit for that 65 Vespa.

Seriously.

the Vespa is long gone... as I had to sell it when I moved from CA to Philly 2 years ago.

7 is the answer.

Stupid fukung n00b

at least I can spell...HAHA

Plus I built my Lambretta and Vespa.

A Boy Named Britchez ... /

Kitty daily driver peds can do 70+ and cruise comfortably in the 50's/60's. Strict racers perhaps a bit more but u tend to sacrafice driveability. Like any other motor sport: Lots of reading+wrenching. Healthy pocket book doesn't hurt either.

Britchez now that at bad at all! whats are good frame to start with (tube type). I see Hobbits go for cheap and also like the J.C. Penny Pinto. I'm thinking about running a kitted Puch ZA50

A Boy Named Britchez ... /

I'm super partial to puch e50 powered peds. Love my rigid kickstart swinger, and my maxi but for comfortably cruising at high speeds, shoot for a magnum w/hydro forks.

Read this spread sheet for rough ideas on top speed: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AseU2kk9COgXdDVRSGlFYnV1V1J1MnBnZEZ2U2d0QXc&hl=en_US#gid=0

Please do a complete search of the moped wiki and these forums as almost all questions have been already answered. (edited)

over 9000 mph

Matt rios Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> over 9000 mph

Minimum.

Danger Dan that is the best tech sheet ever made. It will really help with what will or will not work

A Boy Named Britchez ... Wrote:

shoot for a magnum w/hydro forks.

Already had those type in mind.

Sons of GROMarchy /

Matt rios Wrote:

> over 9000 mph

Around here in NY they clock mopeds and if you are caught going high speeds,(as a rule, 30 mph on a flat surface will not get you hassled even though the laws says 20 mph and under) you will get a whole bunch of tickets (not just for speeding) but having altered your vehicle beyond the registration, not having it registered as a motorcycle (and if you don't have an M class on your license) for driving without a proper license and having your license revoked.

Trying to push a moped up into those types of speeds (50+ mph) will require major frame, shock, wheel and gearing mods. You are building a motorcycle with pedals.

Slooooooooooowwwwwww

Mopeds only go 30max.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

They can be made way faster than the capabilities of its brakes. You're taking your life in your hands.

Downhill Harvey Wrote:

> They can be made way faster than the capabilities

> of its brakes. You're taking your life in your

> hands.

Truth !!!!

How fast can a kitted bike fast, if a kitted bike could fast fast ?

maybe faster than a non-kitted bike if you do it right.

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

Uphill

or downhill?

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Check out this Youtube video and it'll

give you an idea of what is possible

with 50cc's and really deep pockets.

!

Overpriced Parts /

Not a moped^

well if you have deep pockets and love board track racers (1910's -1920's motorbikes) check out Sportsman Flyer 200. This guy is building the whole bikes from scratch and using a go cart 4 stroke engine. Yes it has pedals....

video--- http://www.flickr.com/photos/sportsmanflyer/6535983615/in/photostream/

http://sportsmanflyer.com/bikes.html

^ The spinning sprocket on those are pretty sweet. otherwise fuck 4t.

But you can't register that as a moped (it has a 200cc engine). I would want a 200cc small motorcycle to go a whole lot faster than 50 mph. I used to have an old 125cc Harley dirt bike that would crank a lot faster than that. It is nice looking little piece of work though, I'll give you that.

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

Officer, there aren't any mopeds that are capable of speeds greater than 30 mph on level ground.

My 90cc 2t does 70mph.

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

!

Pretty sweet , man.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account