Oil/gas ratio for break-in?

Dick Johnson /

I will be breaking in a new piston/ring set. Should I run a richer premix than 40:1 for the first hundred miles or so?

Any suggestions?

Re: Oil/gas ratio for break-in?

50:1 or 80:1 amsoil and blast

Dick Johnson /

RE <50:1 or 80:1 amsoil>

I note you have a lot of bikes and probably done many re-builds. I respect that. But, isn't that mix a bit lean for break-in?

MaddMatt -Ruffians STL /

Your jetting should be rich, not your pre-mix.

If your gonna run it super rich for extra lube, i would carry a pocket full of new spark plugs as well.. and a rag to wipe your oily blow hole. I have broke in many two stroke motors and i have always run it like i stole it with standard mix. just let it warm up before you start taking it WOT. Just my 2cents.

some people get super hyped on their "break-in procedures"

I mean I take it easy the first maybe 50-100 miles on a freshly put together top-end but babying your premix is a little much. As dusty said just don't kick your bike over and blast... jet it slightly richer, let the thing idle for a minute, and rev it out slowly on the first few flat stretches you take. I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but being gentle with these bikes goes a long way.

I would recommend running Amsoil Saber 80:1 for your first gallon, then you can go ahead and run 90:1 and blast for the rest of your life. I've noticed much better performance in my bikes after switching to Amsoil than with Motul or generic brand two-stroke oils. It always keeps your piston lubed up, eliminates carbon deposits on your piston and cylinder head, and it's cheaper in the long run (thinner ratio means using less oil per gallon of fuel).

just been my experience... I've never seized a bike by taking the above precautions.

Ron Chappell /

...and do you think it's a good idea to use a synthetic for break-in? Of course at those ratios it should break in pretty fast.

MaddMatt -Ruffians STL /

It's better to use regular oil for break-in.

IMO, lube up everything really well while then engine is being assembled, jet it properly, and run 50:1 while breaking it in.

In my rebuilds I've used the Lucas Oil Assembly Oil (in mopeds and automotive engine/transmission rebuilds) and not had any problems yet.

You lean out your mix when you add extra oil.

Gromosaurus Rex - Brad Pitt /

No. for once....electohacker is right 50:1 on conservative 80:1 saber for lower temps. Be reasonable for first 50 miles. No crazy blasting outbof gate. Progressively work up to longer wot blasts. Remember, its important to let new engine experience normal and hkt operating temps too. Just dont live there and everyone wil be happy.

You people and your silly superstitious break-in methods.....

jOHNNY dOUBE⟴ Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You people and your silly superstitious break-in

> methods.....

jOHNNY dOUBE⟴ Wrote:

> You people and your silly superstitious break-in

> methods.....

What do you mean "you people"???

run cheapo oil for a few tanks and don't blast too hard. i like to throw a little marvel mystery oil in my mix too for the first tank or two. i usually run a little bit too big of a jet in my new kits too. to keep temps down and all.

I run 40/1 all the time, especially break-in, and ask anyone how my bikes run and how long they last. I rarely if ever foul a plug. I have 40 plus years of this method behind this statement.

Too much oil=occasional fouled plug

Too little oil=catastrophic engine failure

Still seems like a no brainer. Synthetic oil is the new wild card. If I were running that, I would still do 50/1

32:1 or die

Christian Giron /

Cody H BUZZARD Wrote:

> jOHNNY dOUBE⟴ Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > You people and your silly superstitious

> break-in

> > methods.....

>

>

> What do you mean "you people"???

what do you mean by "you people"?

I can tell you what my owners manual states, and you can use it or not.

For the first 500 miles -

Regular 50:1 mix

One size bigger jet (you'll get occasional 4 stroking, but it's no big deal)

Vary your speed. City driving will take care of this automatically, but if you're out on open stretches, don't keep it WOT all the time.

Tri-ped, what is your preferred brand / type of oil?

Christian Giron Wrote:

> Cody H BUZZARD Wrote:

> -----

> > jOHNNY dOUBE⟴ Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > You people and your silly superstitious

> > break-in

> > > methods.....

> >

> >

> > What do you mean "you people"???

>

>

> what do you mean by "you people"?

>

> http://crasstalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/44

> 8x249px-LL-3dd0d362_what-do-you-mean-you-people-tr

> opic-thunder-movie-1309633407.jpg

yes

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account