Not getting stuff stolen

Hey everyone. I'm moving into Brighton just outside of Boston and I'm not entirely confident that I can park my moped off the street somewhere safe, and I hear Brighton/Allston is notorious for bicycle theft. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on locking up a bike real good/what to look out for.

As it stands right now the moped has a fork lock built into it (which looks like it would be a bitch to get undone) and I also have a U-lock as well, but it still doesn't feel like enough.

Re: Not getting stuff stolen

Is your U-Lock a kryptonite or some other brand? If it's krypto, what color is it? Orange or Grey?

Allston/Brighton are definitely bad areas for theft; a lot of drunk college kids.

Beard Road Bruiser (SoB) /

Yea... fork lock is easily taken care of with an electric drill / cobalt bit. 30 seconds max.

U Lock good for keeping honest people honest. Go down to the hardware store, get a 4 foot length of the heaviest chain they have, and double up on padlocks. Problem solved.

Beard Road Bruiser (SoB) /

And make sure you lock through both wheels and around frame.

It's a Giant brand lock, seems as sturdy as a Krypto though

Also get some tubing to put the chain inside of so you don't scratch the shit out of your ped

Thanks everyone, this already seems like a good start. Definitely going with the beefy chain + tubing idea.

And chain it to something, otherwise they will just drag off the bike and they get a free chain in the deal.

All those ideas are good, I use a cover when @ home, really deflects attention. I' am always up late, and my bikes are outside my window, there are always peeps walking by my place @all hours. One day left cover off, and watched, many stopped and looked, a few even touched, poked etc. With covers on, they never even turn their heads. Grill covers are cheap and waterproof. I use chefmate brand. I use a u-lock on each wheel.

Attach the bike to a fence energizer and there will be no more touchy-feely people getting finger prints all over the bike.

Ha ha Rebel, might cook my zenner to do that! Sounds like a fun diversion, but I will stay with out of sight out of mind. My kingdom for a garage. Fingerprints can be wiped off, especially if one has the awesome Shelly treatment to ones paint. I wipe her down daily, (the bike) :) just to keep that shine!

. (edited)

Ron Chappell /

The "in thing" is to spray the chain with freon and hit it with a hammer - shatters! (any chain). It's the latest thing in theviery, or so I'm told by a cop friend.

Now that, is a good idea.... even sounds explosive

i keep my down towner bikes ugly. wires hanin' out, rippy seat, rust. why would anyone steal that junker? i keep a decent lock on them too. when i rode my pretty peugeot 103 down town, i parked it on the bike rack in front of the courthouse. nobody fucks around by the courthouse.

savannah requires no paperwork, no registration, title, insurance, nothing. just a helmet and a regular DL. this rules until your bike gets stolen. my buddy found his stolen bike in some backyard once. he called the cops and they almost arrested him for looking in people's back yards. mopeds are more or less viewed as bicycles, and cops don't give a fuck about bicycle theft.

put a harbor freight chain around your bike and hook that to the ulock. its honestly not that great, but itll look really tough and the truth is is that the goal is to look hard to steal. anything is easy to steal with the right tools. you just want people to be too intimidated to try

also, a cover so people cant see how rad your bike is

i had a kickass tgb 101s scooter (it's ok dudes, it was 2t) for a while. it ran great but looked like shit. after 2 years of hard riding, i decided to paint it. came out nice, 2 tone metallic blue and black. added some fog lights. BAM stolen.

Cop quote to me, "If they can't see it, they can't steal it"

So I hide my stuff as much as possible. Seems to work, knock on wood...

I do believe in making everyday locked up bikes look as ugly as possible.

Maybe a rubber dog turd mounted to the frame when locking up?

Attach a red tampon to the handlebars? Dudes hate the tamps...

simple bikle coves is always first line defense.

and 1cm krypto ny u cant just freezet it. my buddies did it back in the days, but for steering wheel clubs which unlike chain does not have a 2 sides and its .5cm thick the most (edited)

haha.. tampons....

keep it inside if possible at all.

Cover it up! So works. If they want it the will get it, if your bike is awesome and they see it, well they start plotting. Hide it where scooters are parked...cover that shit, they will just think it is a scooter.

Alonzo Branson /

Indeed, 'Out of sight, out of mind.'

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

Put a For Sale sign on it and add:

Seized engine, shorted electrics, needs tubes and other parts.

Just a thought.

A thief probably doesn't want a project bike, unless that thief is a Bright Eyed meth monkey.

Freezing chains works

Bolt cutters work

carbide drill bits work.

you cant find it you can't take it

Living room = best idea

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account