Shimming 10mm Shocks

So anyone got any tricks to shimming 10mm shocks to 8mm?

Re: Shimming 10mm Shocks

Have a beer and use the empty can and cut a strip roll it up and slide in the eye hole. That should be enough to hold it tight. There may be better ways that's just a cheap and easy fix

And I get a beer. Thanks!

☠ Leg! ☠ /

i use electrical tape. wrap it around a bunch. sucks if you need to take the bolt out though...

i use felpro gasket paper

Beer can has worked for me. I put 8mm washers on either side to keep it in place.

electrical tape ftw

I use metal tubing I got from a machine shop. 10mm OD, 8mm ID, cut it off with a pipe cutter, debur, done.

I was having some trouble with their website so I can't post a direct link, but the easy solution for me was to pick up a liner from McMaster-Carr, part number 97305A210 to shim treats suspension eyelets from 10mm to 8mm.

Which size did you get? That looks like the easy fix!

Anthony Mangia /

Not sure how well this will work, but I'm having the same problem. If I cant figure anything else out, Imma end up getting this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10MM-X-8MM-X-330MM-100-Carbon-fiber-Wing-tube-Tail-boom-quadcopter-arms-3K-/221103312495?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337ac8ce6f#ht_2909wt_955

Not sure how well I can justify spending 12 bucks though lol, next time I'll make sure I know what I'm buying..

The metal tubing I got looks just like the pic travis posted. Any machine shop should have it. You definetly don't want to use electrical tape. I bought a bike that someone rigged up with tape and the extra play in the bushing caused the bolt to move enouigh to ruin the threads in the frame.

I wasn't diggin' on the shim thing so I replaced the eyelets on mine; got some tubing (specs below) from (seattle) onlinemetals.com.

Mild Steel A513 TYPE 5

DOM Tube

0.5" x 0.095" x 0.31"

Cut to: 0.75" (x4)

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=7759&step=4&showunits=inches&id=283&top_cat=197

Shortened to size and cleaned up ends on grinder/sander, drilled ID out to 8mm. Pressed out 10mm shock eyelets and pressed these in, in case of Seabac, or just replaced the original, in case of the "Xtreme" shocks. Works on both, and should work on any with the ~13mm ID rubbers.

They are a tad smaller OD than the 13mm originals but still fit nice and tight, but You don't want them too long (longer than the originals) or the washers won't touch/squish the rubber and things could get loose.

If you order custom cut pieces, they cut them about a sixteenth to an eighth long, so I had to spend a bit of time grinding them down to size. Next time gonna try .70" and see how those turn out. Should be about .75+ with some room to clean and even them up. (edited)

8mm shock conversion - Xtreme.JPG
8mm shock conversion - Seabac.JPG

Also Here is the link to that bolt liner from McMaster-Carr for the ez-fix:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3262/=iw2qjk

Chip seems You were lucky to find metric tubing at the machine shop, I could not find the right sizes anywhere, not for shim not for the whole thing, and what I did find was $$ from overseas. (edited)

Beer cans still working for me. Using the same strips on new shocks. Boooooya.

I know this was holding my carb on, and is holding the radiator in my nissan. Electrical tape, the tool of champions. Beer can is probably a better idea. electrical tape gets messy O_o

These things are perfect! Treats should buy a bunch of these to sell cause they're the perfect fix.

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

tape or beer cans for the jankey moped kid fix, or proper shims for the proper fix.

if you have old shocks laying around, check the rubbers and shims in those. sometimes, if the rubbers are good and the right size, you can replace the them too to get the proper size.

These are the McMaster shims/bearings I used. Needed 2 per shock, per end (lower bolt only) on my TSM:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/1134/=jj84qw

I buy 8 mm shocks

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account