Base gasket thickness?

Dick Johnson /

I am ordering a piston replacement set for my stock a55. The base gasket comes in the following thickness in mm: .5,1,1.5 and 2.0.

I don't have a clue as to which size to order and have not yet taken off the cylinder. I would like to have all the parts on hand before committing mayhem on the engine.

Can someone please give me an idea?

Also, I think a needle bearing is what the wrist pin goes through on the rod. The size is 12 x 15 x 15. I assume 12 is the i.d., 15 is the o.d., and 15 is the length in mm. Does this make sense?

Any input will be appreciated

Re: Base gasket thickness?

Gudgeon pin bearing is indeed what you believe the size is, the base gaskets are shim gaskets, you probably should order one of each or wait until you install the new piston, measure and order the correct one or fabricate your own. You want to set it up so that at bottom dead center the top edge of the piston is level with the floor of the exhause and transfer ports.

I like em real thick and juicy

Dick Johnson /

Thanks so much for the quick response. My order is on hold until I figure the solution. The gaskets don't cost that much so I will order all but .5mm.

I'm wondering why there would wouldn't be a standard size? Why the variation, considering the engines come off the same assembly line?

[Radium City] kyle k $ /

some people want thicker or thinner gaskets to do a lot of different things. some kits need thicker to line up ports or stop the piston from hitting the head. you can also use different gasket sizes to fine tune a squish band. it also can raise or lower compression slightly ive been told.

[Radium City] kyle k $ /

correct me if i am wrong on any of those reasons

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account