D & S Mopeds

Greetings, I'm a new member here and I want to relate a saga. I purchased a fully restored and nice moped from a small company in New Jersey that buys and restores and refurbishes mopeds. D&S Mopeds (Dan and Steve) here is their website:

I understand that they are members here.

Very nice fellows and very amicable........................... but there is a problem. I have found out that the moped that I purchased was purchased by them from somebody that didn't own them and was the son of a man that was storing his mopeds. The paperwork that I got from them was inaccurate (bogus) and I have had contact with the original owner that told me that he was told that the mopeds were discarded (which he wasn't happy about, but he wasn't going to get after his friend. Then he was surprised when he found out that the bike is still on the road) It turns out that I went back to D&S and have made over 20 phone calls and text messages and several emails to them and I'm getting a run around and promises and now I hear from Steve that tells me that this is my problem and if I don't want to ride the bike anymore that I should just sell it for parts. There were a total of three bikes in that batch that they bought and all three were sold by them to different customers. I'm screwed!

I live in New York and NY requires only a bill of sale and not a title for registration, but NJ requires a title. Since the bike was traced back to NJ, MVB in NY requires that I have a title. The original owner still has the title and is only willing to part with it for a price (he doesn't want the bike back). I have a registration, but now that is questionable.

Any advice? Has anyone here dealt with these people before? Should I call NJ State Police? Is this a case of a stolen vehicle or just a misrepresentation? I know I'm getting screwed no matter how this turns out, but now I'm mad and I want some consideration.

There are two other mopeds out there that they sold that the new owners(?) are going to be getting some upsetting news about.

Any thoughts?

Re: D & S Mopeds

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

D&S link didn't show.

D&S Mopeds can be found at this site:

D&S Mopeds in New Jersey

I didn't add the proper link. Here is where their site is at.

Yes Thank you. These are the fellows. I have tried to enter this link two times so far and I guess I'm punching in the wrong code. I'll get the hang of the format here eventually. But you got it right.

Sounds like there running a moped chop shop!

Oh.....dAAANNAAAAY boy....oh danny boy...

weee love you soooooo.....

for the $1500 dollar ads you throw...

oh dANNY boy..

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Isn't that our friend "njdan"?

Beard Road Bruiser (SoB) /

Dan is a douche bag flipper. He pretty pretty much hangs out in Off Topic, but I would get the police involved. Makes me wonder how man illegal bikes he has in his "shop".

If it is njdan it makes sense the trouble this guy is having. He buys storage lockers and gets bikes obviously none of which would have a title in the locker. This doesn't seem as sketchy as before. The owner of those bikes should have paid there monthly rent on the locker.

What I meant by get the cops involved is that since he sold you a ped with bogus paperwork, and the original owner has popped up, you don't have any right to that bike, and unless you pay the original owner what he wants for the title, you risk losing the bike at any time.

By calling the cops, odds are that you can at least get your money back from Dan and Steve.

Dan messages me once about getting titles for about 10 bikes for him. I'm now glad I didn't.

Subscribed. This sounds interesting.

I'd call the cops on the owner and get that title. If these were legit bought from a storage locker njdan owns them and can do whatever he wants with them

A Boy Named Britchez ... /

Shit just got shitty

Andrew Squiggman /

Hmmmm

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Beard Road Bruiser Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dan is a douche bag flipper. He pretty pretty much

> hangs out in Off Topic, but I would get the police

> involved. Makes me wonder how man illegal bikes he

> has in his "shop".

He may be a douche bag flipper, but I highly doubt he's a thief.

Doesn't sound like these were bought in a locker. If they were, it doesn't matter. Title owns vehicle regardless of transfer.

If the storage place owner wanted them gone, they would have had to be towed since they are vehicles. Or applied for title then sold the them. But the bottom line on vehicles is that unless you have the title (in a title state) you do not own the vehicles.

Rich Levangie Wrote:

> I'd call the cops on the owner and get that title.

> If these were legit bought from a storage locker

> njdan owns them and can do whatever he wants with

> them

What dan would need to do is title the bike with the paper work he recieved with the locker and then pay sales tax on it. I believe then he could sell it to you with a title. Im not 100% positive but should be an easy fix to this

Not a theif himself, but how many bikes he ends up with that come from sketchy backgrounds.

Downhill Harvey Wrote:

> Beard Road Bruiser Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Dan is a douche bag flipper. He pretty pretty

> much

> > hangs out in Off Topic, but I would get the

> police

> > involved. Makes me wonder how man illegal bikes

> he

> > has in his "shop".

>

>

> He may be a douche bag flipper, but I highly doubt

> he's a thief.

Again, if it was a locker, the landlord of that locker has to apply for a lien on the titles. Then go trough the legal proceedings. Again, because it's a vehicle, the rules are different.

Rich Levangie Wrote:

> What dan would need to do is title the bike with

> the paper work he recieved with the locker and

> then pay sales tax on it. I believe then he could

> sell it to you with a title. Im not 100% positive

> but should be an easy fix to this

If that's the case, then shouldn't Dan have taken care of this immediately instead of kicking me to the curb and giving me the run around? It's been three weeks already ad I get BS from him when he chooses to return my calls. BTW it wasn't in a storage locker. It was being kept in his best friend's garage and the best friend's son sold three mopeds to Dan and told his father that he threw them out.

I'm getting that old familiar feeling again and I really don't like it. I want these guys to make good on giving me an easy to register moped either by providing me with a title (cause I really like this bike) or giving me one with clean paperwork of comparable quality.

I have been very reasonable and given them plenty of opportunity to make good. I spoke with Steve this morning and he's giving me crap about calling him stating that this was Dan's deal and he had nothing to do with it. I reminded him that I bought this moped from he and his partner and they both shared in the money! Yeah, I'm getting royally P.Oed!!

Seriously, you need to call the cops. Do it tomorrow morning, and get it sorted out. The forum won't be able to help you.

^^^^ well that story sucks. If that really was the case your owed your money back or a clean bike!

I am not a teeff

Thanks, I think I might, but I'm posting this here to show Dan and Steve that I'm serious about pursuing this ( I was told that he is an active member here) and give them an opportunity to do right by me before I take it up with the police. The previous owner already knows who they are and is willing to sell them the title, but so far, they are ignoring him. BTW there are two more mopeds in this deal that they sold already (or so they said), so they have a couple of other people that are going to be having nightmares when this guy that owned them does a search.

BTW, they were really nice guys and we got along well. I think that they got involved in something they didn't expect and got "freaked" by it. This is a chance for them to make it right.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

nj d@n Wrote:

> I am not a teeff

Dan looks just like Don.

Well hello Dan. Nice to finally here back from you. So if you're a straight-up kind of guy, what are you going to do to resolve this? I'll help you clear your name and reputation, but not at the expense of screwing myself. Well?

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Jeffrey Webb Wrote:

> Well hello Dan. Nice to finally here back from

> you. So if you're a straight-up kind of guy, what

> are you going to do to resolve this? I'll help you

> clear your name and reputation, but not at the

> expense of screwing myself. Well?

uh, that's a fake account. Dan should be around soon.

Dude, he doesn't give a shit about the moped community. He has said that multiple times on here, hence why there is a ready made fake name of his (thats not the real NJ D@n up there.)

Bottom line is that you have a moped that belongs to someone else. Dan/Steve took your money for something that they didn't have the right to sell (no paperwork regardless of where they got it) and had no qualms about writing up bogus paperwork, hoping they would get off easy with it.

Try it your way by all means, but the faster you get the authorities involved, the better for you. Moped goes back to owner that has title, you get money from Dan/Steve, you use money to buy moped and title from legal owner.

The truth is, that at any moment, the legal owner (guy with title) can call the cops and get your moped taken away from you, and you'll have no recourse at that point. Be proactive, and don't expect vigilante justice from teh interwebz.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account