Cool Find! 1961 Allstate Scooter

Just picked it up today. It's a 1961 Sears Allstate scooter, made by Piaggo(Vespa). Sorry no pics yet, but it's mostly all there, and in decent shape, with good motor. Does anyone know much about these? Motor made by Vespa? No plastic on this baby.

Re: Cool Find! 1961 Allstate Scooter

Sears simply re-badged their products under their own product line names (kenmore,jc higgins, allstate, etc) Allstate scooters were manufactured by Piaggio, Puch or cushman. The Allstate model scooter produced by Piaggio is slightly different from the Vespa model. It's basically a stripped down model made especially for Sears. They lack some of the fancier features you'll find on a Vespa. (edited)

I don't care if it's a stripped down model, I like it. It's going on my project list for this winter.

Lucky bastard.. I've wanted a 50s-early 60s Vespa scooter since I was a kid.

EXCELLENT!

looking for a parts manual

Hey Grey, thanks for the link and info.

White paint with a blue badge on the front leg shield? If so, sweet.

You can find a lot of info on this scooter by looking up "blue badge" or "primavera."

Also, http://scooterhelp.com/serial/ves.frame.serial.numbers.html

I've got several different manuals. What's your model number? It should be in front of and below the front of the seat.

Hey Bill my model #788.94330

Well according to link, my scooter was made 1948-1950. I'm not too sure that is right or not. The guy told me it was 1961.

the easiest way to tell if your vespa is a "wide frame" (1948-1957ish) or a "large frame" (1957-1978) is to look for a square door between your legs (as you're sitting on it).

If yours is a wideframe, i would strongly consider selling it to someone with extensive vespa experience. They are very very slow, so I don't imagine you'll get too much thrill out of riding it. And parts for them can be tremendously rare, and if you don't know what you're looking for, finding the right one may take years.

The tough part about scooters in the US, is because of the few numbers that were actually sold here, parts can be very expensive and hard to find. You'll spend 3,000-4,000 dollars to do a nice restoration on a vespa, and the final product is only worth $2,000.

If you don't have that passion for it, just sell it to someone who does, and you'll get enough to buy a faster, less rare model that will probably suit your needs a lot better.

Check that link again. I found your model number, 788.94330, listed under "Allstate Vespas (made in Italy and sold through Sears" as a 1963 model, also called a VA12T.

Near the top of the page there's a link to another page to help you find the serial number. It's probably on the left side, on the frame under the cowl.

Ya. that's essentially a Vespa VNA. It's a 2 port motor, 3 speed, 125cc's. Between that 4hp motor, and the 8 inch wheels, that's one slow scooter. But the plus side is, that parts for that model are extremely easy to find.

Any pics

Well, at least parts may be easy to find. I don't think I'll need too many parts, because it is mostly complete.

Jeremy Sharp Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The tough part about scooters in the US, is

> because of the few numbers that were actually sold

> here, parts can be very expensive and hard to

> find. You'll spend 3,000-4,000 dollars to do a

> nice restoration on a vespa, and the final product

> is only worth $2,000.

>

> If you don't have that passion for it, just sell

> it to someone who does, and you'll get enough to

> buy a faster, less rare model that will probably

> suit your needs a lot better.

Couldn't agree more. I had a '65 Vespa Super that I put close to $4000 into it (tons of upgrades and replaced everything) It had the 8" rims but put a kitted P200 with racing pipe, plus a ton of other stuff and was only able to sell it for $2000.

Vespas are great but very costly to get running and plan on only working on it to keep it running

I have built several vespas from the ground up. it's a labor of love. you do it because you enjoy the whole process. No one builds vespas and actually makes money.

sorry to hijack your thread. if you need help, you can PM me, i've built that same scooter before, or head over to ModernVespa.com (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account