In absolutely all seriousness - Asbestos Gaskets

Christian Giron /

If I have an asbestos base gasket that's already precut, installed, and just chillin - how much risk am I at for just letting it sit there?

Is it only when you sand/cut asbestos that you can get mesothelioma?

I really don't plan on touching it at all unless absolutely necessary and I intend to take the necessary precautions after reading about it some more

I just wanted to hear your first hand experience.

If I have to take the cylinder off, I was planning on making sure I had a new gasket ready to replace it and to hold my breath and wash my hands after tossing it in 3 plastic bags.

Re: In absolutely all seriousness - Asbestos Gaskets

Sounds fun, i hear the jERKY boys eat that shit with mustard....

dude its already too late your proably already dead and on some game of thrones whitewalker status type shit and dont even know it.

Christian Giron /

Fuck it if thats the case I'm going out with a bang!!! Moped rocket shipz!

thats right

Just use it. The floor tiles in my schools were asbestos, the insulation, broken ceiling tiles, brake shoes on my cars, probably mopeds too, all asbestos, and I'm perfectly fine.

Asbestos won't mess you up unless you work around it all the time... so you're fine.

John Joedicke /

hey we used it as modelling clay in primary school. who gives a rats ass about a hard asbestos gasket. Eat it then we might worry! and how do you know it is asbestos, had it checked?

Christian Giron /

Mattology made my gasket for me as I was running to the auto parts store and I noticed it said asbestos on the box hahaha. He had a roll of it.

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

The danger from asbestos comes from long term exposure to particulates. There is probably a higher concentration of asbestos particulate at a traffic intersection(yes, they still make asbestos brake pads) than what you'll create by scraping off an old gasket. I het it would make awesome exhaust gaskets, though!

Josh Cranston Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Asbestos won't mess you up unless you work around

> it all the time... so you're fine.

ummm mesothelioma is an acute disease not chronic

Graham H Wrote:

> Josh Cranston Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Asbestos won't mess you up unless you work

> around

> > it all the time... so you're fine.

>

>

> ummm mesothelioma is an acute disease not chronic

Yeah, you get the acute disease after working around it for your whole life

wouldn't that make it chronic if you only get it from prolonged exposure over a long period of time? I was under the impression that when you breathe it in it sticks to your lungs and is not coming off and then you get cancer years after. but the whole chronic vs. acute thing is if you feel symptoms right away or 30 years down the road so it was probably the wrong term to use.

Sure it didn't say Raybestos?

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

Adam Blickhahn Wrote:

> Sure it didn't say Raybestos?

adam,

i think you nailed it...

either way, just don't grind up asbestos and snort it or sprinkle your crack rock on it and smoke it and you'll be fine............

If you are not working the asbestos gaskets (drilling, cutting, machining, etc) it will not give you mesothelioma. Them cigarettes n whiskey shots will probably catch up to you first!

nick gray Wrote:

> dude its already too late your proably already

> dead and on some game of thrones whitewalker

> status type shit and dont even know it.

looooool

I have read all the replies, and agree with most of the info.

Your exposure from a few gaskets' cutting is minimal, negligible. The main problem with asbestos material is its "friability" which means its capacity to become airborne fibers that you can breathe in, entrench in your lungs, and, maybe eventually develop into mesothelioma. Or not.

Small chance. Some asbestos material has a higher probability of becoming friable than others. Gasket material is pretty stable by comparison to insulation wrap, etc. Personally, I would not lose any sleep over it. If you've ANY concerns, invest in a respirator with appropriate filters and work carefully. But...really, the worst case of lung disease linked to asbestos I ever read of was the wife of a fellow who worked with it for DECADES...and his wife did his laundry for the same period, SHAKING IT ALL OUT AS BEST SHE COULD BEFORE LAUNDERING.

He was okay. She wasn't. Suggests other variables too, no?

In all honesty, I have cut/replaced/tooled, etc. asbestos roof and/or siding tiles for years prior to knowing the "issues." As have lots of others in the 50-60 year old range (or more), without ramifications. Not to say that in the last 10-25 years of life they may not manifest.

But then, I wasn't just cutting gaskets.

Sons of GROMarchy /

You're not going to qualify for a settlement check based on exposure to a gasket. To help you understand, your exposure would be acute. You're not experiencing prolonged or "chronic" exposure.

Acute: i.e. a condition that can be cleared up or treated with simple interventions.

Chronic: i.e. a disease that manifests and is long-term with varying degrees of success from treatment interventions. You usually treat the symptoms, not the cause.

Christian Giron /

So basically what you're saying is... don't roll it up and snort coke with it. Got it.

Okay thanks for all the replies, I was just curious. I wasn't too too worried about it, but its good to know this kind of shit.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

thats not what acute or chronic means an acute injury is like u hitting your thumb with a hammer it bruises right away where chronic is like lifting heavy shit for years and you get back problems over a long period of time

oohh God, you might have AIDS!! have you recently had a pounding sensation in your ass? get checked dude is all i'm saying..

Brad William /

Of all the companies that have changed/tweaked their names for the sake of trust or health concerns (or bankruptcy and/or tax dodgery)....

Andersen Consulting/Accenture

Philip Morris/Altria

Kentucky Fried Chicken/KFC

ValueJet Airlines/Airtrain

Amway/Alticor/Quixtar/Amway

etc, etc

...RayBESTOS?? Seriously? (edited)

As far as I know raybestos has always been raybestos. Started by Arthur Raymond making asbestos auto products.

Brad William /

..that wasn't clear, sorry.. i was wondering why they haven't changed the original

Jimbo Grand Daddy /

Selkirk Metalbestos. It contains no asbestos.

Shaggy Darklord /

Asbestos is fine as long as you consume at least a pint of whiskey or gin every time you work with it. That's what the health and safety executive tells us to do over here in England and we're all just happy as fuck!

Sons of GROMarchy /

O u gun dye (edited)

Rick Bergsma /

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account