my new city bike

i've been flooding facebook with updates about this shit, so here's moped army's chance to be bored as well

picked this up a couple days ago from a dude that lived 40 blocks from where it was purchased new in 1976. it was his dad's, who recently passed away. saw it on craigslist for $200, so i ran down to check it out. i had 200 TOTAL to my name, so i was just hoping he'd come off the price. got there, the engine was seized, but overall it was super complete, low miles, everything was there. offered him $100 since it was seized, he took it and i was on my way. the cool thing is, iowa is a titling state, so title is pretty crucial, but when something hasnt been registered in years, you have to pay back taxes for all those years. the thing had a 1977 plate on it when i picked it up (hadnt been touched since) so it was not looking good, but incredibly, the old guy had kept it registered anyway since the day he bought it, so ALL the plates over the years were with the bike, and its registration is just coming up due for the 2013 tags. incredible.

it has all the paperwork, manual, brochures, original sales receipt, etc. most complete collection of stuff i've ever gotten with a moped. when i got it it had a windshield, rack basket, and nice Cimatti saddlebags, which i am keeping, but not sure if i want to re-mount if i'm going to be using it.

i got it home, tried getting it started, and it budged, then kicked over. no spark yet, but once i swap out the stator it should fire up i'd imagine. tank is clean, carb was actually pretty clean, etc. i tore it completely down and cleaned and polished every part, then re-assembled it. so here it is. the plate thats on it currently was in with the paperwork. pretty cool. 383 original miles, one owner, just beautiful. there is corrosion all over parts of the rims, and on a lot of the paint unforunately, but i'd almost prefer it to be not-quite-perfect anyway, otherwise i'd feel bad riding it.

anyway, i know city bikes arent particularly interesting bikes, and honestly i thought they were pretty ugly for the longest time, but i've fallen in love with this thing. can't wait to get it running and take it for its first ride in 35 years. the plan is to keep it bone stock, and at most maybe swap out a pipe or a kit just to make it a little faster, but not change anything that cant be put back to bone stock. cosmetically NOTHING will change. i'm kinda over chopping up nice mopeds. theres not gonna be any left someday at this rate, and they really are a thing of beauty.

enjoy

paperwork scans:

and a shitty phone photo from when i first got it:

Re: my new city bike

If you ever wanna part with those bags, i'm game..

I got a pair, but I got a pair of CityBikes also...hint..hint..

actually johnny, where exactly are they supposed to mount? around the rack tube under the tank and then put the spring around the shock? i couldnt figure out a logical way to mount them.

what? no cb radio?

nice find. awesome that he kept it registered. only in iowa.

Is that the one I saw on CL really cheap? That is a nice looking moped; still looks brand new.

Swoopid Woody /

"you don;t have to be italian to ride a cimatte"

I have the spare tank also...well the one that straps to the front,,, in pearly white.

.just not in this pic. (edited)

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

My favorite City Bike,

Must be great on long right and curves...

man, that blue one is gorgeous.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Not bad , huh. Hey Nash, got a Derbi PP cylinder head?

Very nice find! Crazy that the kept it tagged every year!

i would kill for those saddlebags

no extra derbi heads. sorry dude

You should track down the extra range gas tank, I would love to have a City Bike with one of those.

tis a beaut. nice find.

ive definitely wanted the extra range tank. was it a legit accessory for the citybike or is it just something people take off the town bike for added range? would definitely be cool to have a stock moped and not have to fill up for like 4 months, haha

also how do the downtube tanks attach? there are no bosses on the frame for an extra tank...

I love love love love LOVE my City Bike.

city bike.jpg

Mine was stock..

Randy Oehlerking /

Great Find!! I've got a pair of citybikes, one blue, one red, the blue one was my second moped and its the one I've learned everything I know on. The red one I just picked up last week and I'm not sure exactly what direction I'll take with it. They're great bikes and like you said, I thought they were super ugly at first but I ended up just falling in love with it. Enjoy!!

Sweet... keep it simple and stock

fallout Survivor /

Very cool find. if it was me I would keep it perfectly stock, (at least in appearance). Maybe fool with the jetting and restrictions.

Lucky man.

^^thats pretty much the plan, and maybe a pipe that doesnt look too crazy. ideally i'd love to run an 80 kit, SHA with the stock air filter, and a low end pipe. if i could use this thing to go 40 with good acceleration i'd be pleased.

well, swapped the stator out for one that i knew had a good set of points and condensor and BOOM, it started right up and idled beautifully.

after riding it, there are some new issues to attend to:

-when the taillight is in "on" mode, the brakelight is constantly on and nothing changes when you pull the brake levers. might have to do with the switches i replaced

-if you let it sit, it just flat out dies after a few seconds of idling. possibly because of too cold a plug, might be fouling out easily. i'm running a B7HS on a bone stock bike, so its definitely possible.

-tires DEFINITELY need to be replaced. i already knew they were cracked as shit on the corroded parts of the rims, but they have a nice hop to them too which makes for a really bumpy ride

other than that, i'm very happy with it. for having a 14:9 carb, it moves alright doing 24-29 on the flats. the low end isnt great at all, but i'm sure i can remedy that somehow. i really think this thing would be a lot of fun with my old polini 80 kit running the stock carb and pipe. if it did low 30s with good torque, i'd be happy. plus it'd be quiet and still look totally stock.

heres a shot from the maiden voyage. i have to get some more paperwork from the people i bought it from before i can register it, but hopefully itll go according to plan. i told them as soon as its legal, i'll bring it down and let them ride it.

i'm half-tempted to just give them their dad's bike back or sell it back to them for what i put into it, but i know theyd just give it to their kids to beat the shit out of (he told me that was the plan, more or less), so i dont think thats gonna happen.

I just got a city bike a few weeks ago. Logged 150 miles so far. Cosmetically, it's a bit ugly and beat up. It was originally red but now it's orange. I added a plastic box in the back to carry groceries and my backpack. Absolutely love this bike. It goes 28-32 on flat roads and 18-24 on hills depending on grade. All stock. I'm a total noob but I would like to install a kit to add some power so I can go up hills. But right now, I love the bike. :)

IMG_1070.JPG

That is a nice looking moped IMHO, but of course that is extremely subjective. Got a question for my Iowa perps? When I lived there (graduated Fort Dodge HS in 1976) you only had to have a car inspected when it was bought or sold.

I bought a 1963 Ford Galaxy 500 (my first car) from the original owner. It hadn't been through a state inspection EVER. I took it in for inspection as required by law and got it up to code (bought "new" retread tires IIRC)

Most places I have lived since require ALL cars to be inspected every year or so. Did Iowa ever change their inspection law on cars, or is it still ONLY inspected when it changes hands through a sale? Just curious.

Enjoy

theyve changed the laws. i dont think vehicle inspections have existed at all since the mid-80s. i've never had to have a vehicle inspected, but most of the old motorcycles and mopeds i buy have the old inspection stickers on them.

you only have to get something inspected now if it doesnt have a title and you are trying to get a bonded title, but even then its pretty easy. our local inspector basically just shows up, glances at whatever the vehicle is, then hands you the paperwork.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account