Just got a moped...in pieces.

I came to my cousins house and he gave me his moped. Except it's in pieces. Everything is apart except the motor. If anyone has any tips they could give me that would be great.

IMG_2859[1].JPG

Re: Just got a moped...in pieces.

Just put it together. Its not hard

Christian Giron /

Welp.. better get started.

Put it back together.

Sweet pipe you got there.

Brandon Compton /

i'll give 100 bucks to save you time and trouble of doing it! :)

I Look Like Shit /

yeah im not far from you, ill buy all that stuff if you get tired of trying to put it together

This is what it should look like when it's done...

lol..do you know what it is? i'm new in the moped world but it looks like a Puch to me... am i right guys?

007.jpg

Christian Giron /

Okay I'll help.

Look at the 'photos' section at the top of the page, find the puch section and look for a maxi.

Look at a couple of the photos and place everything down on the ground where you think they should be going.

You should have forks that go on the front of the frame, an engine that goes on the 3 holes on the bottom of the frame, two shocks that go on the back of the frame for your basics.

Your rear wheel will have a sprocket and the front one wont.

Start with that and look at all the leftover parts and figure out where you think they go. Look through threads that detail maxi pictures or e50 engine pictures so you know what the engines look like and maybe where a bunch of the smaller stuff goes.

Well, this looks like an interesting summer project.

I wish someone would just give me something like that sometimes, even if it is in pieces, lol.

Tips:

Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

It's all metric.

Blue wire to coil. Yellow to headlight. Grey to tail light. Ground everything else.

drunken mcfrenzy /

k'nex

Ben Grinev /

Yea I know, the guy bought a brand new pipe and a brand new carburetor and gave it to me for free.

Ben Grinev /

Yea it's a 1978 Puch Maxi.

Ben Grinev /

So this is an E50 engine? You see, that's what I was worried about, not knowing how to connect the engine and wires to the Puch. I believe the wiring would be the hardest part, am I right?

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Ben Grinev /

Yea, I'm really excited to put it together and ride. I don't even care how fast it will go.

Ben Grinev /

How hard is it to connect the wiring?

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

puchsm118.jpg

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Ben Grinev /

I will be posting up picture of what I have done. And if you're interested just follow this post.

Ha Ha

You can do it. Just research. This site has lots of info. use the wiki. I will be fallowing this thread. Keep going. Can't wait to see it rip.

Ben Grinev /

The first picture is the new carburetor which is a bing 21, and the second one is the old one which is a bing 12 I believe.

IMG_2863[1].JPG
IMG_2864[1].JPG

Ben Grinev /

Yea this website is the best.

fallout Survivor /

This way you can inspect and clean all the parts a lot easier.

Get paper or online service manual with schematics. It will be a lot easier than you might think. Like someone said lay it out on the ground and group the parts where you think they go and just focus on one system or set of parts at a time.

Ben Grinev /

Yes, luckily my cousin already cleaned, repainted and everything, it was his long lost project that was never finished.

Ben Grinev /

Also, the most I'm worrying about is the wiring. I mean, I have seen the instructions on the manual on how to do it, but it is a little confusing.

If you got something to look at it really helps. I got tired of mine and hard wired it. (got rid of brake light and horn, and there is no light switch they are always on. I have a tail light, but no brake. But there are only 3 wired on my entire ped going to my motor now.)

You are only 45 minutes away from me and my buddies. So if you need help we are not too far off. But I see you are 14. I will recommend right now DO NOT ride it in the street. (I know you probably will once or twice when you get it running, and you deserve at least that if you put the work into it to get it running) But if you get pulled over. it's game over until you're 18. And that would suck. Also always wear a helmet. PA dose not make you. But getting hit will suck much more than looking "dorky" wearing a helmet on a moped. I mean you're on a moped... you already kinda look dumb :)

But that's one of the best part because they are fun.

Ben Grinev /

Are you sure they won't just give me a warning? I have heard people driving bikes like this and just get warnings the first time.

Also, what kind of permit do I need to legally drive it?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account