can you tell av10 or av7 from a picture?

i have a line on a motor. Now my issue is this, i want the av10 because of the blowback issue resolved with that design but i guess for the right price i would buy the av7. Question is, can an av10 be identified from just a picture, or are all the design upgrades internal and no way to tell until tear down...? anyone know

Re: can you tell av10 or av7 from a picture?

Stefan Didizian /

yes look for a intake going into the bottom end.

here it is

motor and parts grab bag.jpg

† CH∆D † /

7. The av10 is CASE inducted. That you can see the small intake coming from the cylinder

That is an av7 but not variated by the belt cover--I looked at the e-bay one for 50 it is also non-variated av7.

Russell Huddy /

A rebuild on the motor in the picture with some port work

a 15sha and modified exhaust could be a solid 40 mph bike

You'd want to switch to a variator as well (edited)

oh great... now i need to figure out what non variated means... and if it is a good or bad thing... good grief.... lol..hehehhe here we go again...

Hey Dusty--the variated clutch is easy to switch out and there are articles on how and it helps on taking off from a dead start--sort of like an auto transmission without the multiple gears-Russell's idea is one that many have followed including myself and you will be glad you did!

so do you guys think the motor grab bag is worth 150 ? i know nothing about it, don't know if it has spark or anything... i can tell you that ANY motor i do get my hands on will have a new top end put on it regaurdless..(thats just how i build) and if the bottom end is toast it will be done as well.. i may just keep looking for the av10 but if i can let this guy sweat for a couple days he may come down to a price i am willing to pay for an av7.. is the difference between the 10 and 7 that much different... should i hold out for a 10?

Russell Huddy /

A av10 done right gets expensive. If your going av7 just find a bottom end to rebuild(seals,bearings,gaskets) and build from there.

ok... i am over thinking again... ^^^ like you said Russell^^^ i need a bottom end and that way i can move forward... after all it is my first PED build... i have had many "First" builds and they ALL seem to start like this. But most end up like this. I know its not a ped...but they are a bit fussy as well .. i don't take enough pics while working.. this was a top end rebuild and total suspension overhaul...this mutha rides like a cloud...

before.jpg
after.jpg

Not a moped....

look at mabecanmobylette.com its only mobys

^true. You do want the variator, the dimoby works, but no where near the hillclimbing power. What all is in the parts box, ask if owner knows wht cyl it has, there were 3, 20 mph 25 mph and 30mph. This was because different states had different speed requirements for mopeds back in the day. does engine turn? offer 100.00, at least you have a start point. Bearings and seals are avail on e-bay or treats. If you get the 15.15 you will want the shorty intake, that one has the bendy one. If you get it I would tear it down, it is already off the bike and it will save you hassles in the long run. No matter what carb you choose add an inline filter unless the fuel tank is spotless.

I know it's not a ped build and i will refrain from posting other builds off the topic. I just wanted to let you guys that are helping me know that i'm not a "New Wrench In The Box"... i know my way aroun two strokes. and i appreciate all your advise.

Hey Dusty. Fuck that pile of shit for $150 and also don't buy the basket case AV7 that NJDan has on Ebay. You can get a decent running AV7 on here for $70-$125 most of the time. $125 should get you carb and pipe for bolt up and go. Stock 12v ignitions (that work) are hard to find, hell any working ignition on a moby is hard to find so if they say no spark then no deal. Spark can just be a condenser, but it could be a bad coil. You will for sure want points with a moby unless you go with a top of the line CDI (cheap CDIs suck).

If you are going to port the stocker then look for a 25mph engine. keeping it stock then get a 30mph, and if kitting it then just look for anything with 12v ignition (post 1977).

The variator is your transmission.

Non-variated = 1 speed

Variated = FUCK YEAH this thing is stupid fast !!!!!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account