Bat Grand Prix?

Was wanting to pick up Carl Busby's Bat Grand Prix. Any tips on the bike itself? I know Bats aren't noob friendly but it's running a Peugoet engine which should open many doors for future upgrades. Anyways anyone got any ideas/advice about the bike?

PICT0065.jpg

Re: Bat Grand Prix?

Ummmmm get it runnin and ride it would be my idea. Oh and don't fuck it up those things are some of the cooler "top tanks".

Advice: give it to me free of charge and in return I will ride it in your honor

Lol Carl has it running. he ebuilt the engine and upgraded the reeds. I haven't ridden it yet. There are parts that need to be bought/replaced but as long as it's a running ped I'm happy. I know about the rarity of these guys and already I can tell it has tons of potential. The body faring looks super sweet. I want to see that thing run fast and ride it.

Being a snoby owner of an Grand Prix, I would not want to see a complete noob get their hands on one. As a noob you will make mistakes and brake things. Its just part of the moped learning curve. Their are not a whole lot of Grand Prix's out their. I would recommend starting on a Peugeot 103. Once you get the hang of tuning variated bikes, then consider the Grand Prix.

Photo Sep 06, 12 12 36 PM by eppdesign, on Flickr

i back brett 1000000%

I'm a newbie but I do have a bunch of brothers that work in the automotive industries fixing cars and motorcycles.

Even though Im a newb I want it and know I have people that can fix it if I don't know how to do something.

I've found manuals for the Grand prix and parts so I know how things look.

I'm looking to keep the stock look not trying to pimp it out and do anything crazy with it. Just looking to make it my daily rider also.

I understand the rarity of one especially in the west coast... And just don't want to miss out on this opportunity.

I wouldn't say I'm too nooby it's just I don't have much mechanical experience. I guess you could say I'm the nerdy bookwormy brother out of the lot

But thanks for the opinions. (edited)

here is a word of advice. first thing you do take the flywheel off, clean it, and put it back on to make sure it runs well.

unicorn. feed it magic pellets and it will give you a magic boner.

So do I have to take my clothes off also? I always thought the gold grand prixs looked like bananas especially without the bottom fairing.

The blue one looks pretty slick also but totally wouldn't mind fabricating or purchasing fairings for it.

I also work on my bikes in the nude. If you need more help call Gary.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

It's far from cherry, so it's already fucked up.

Hey Bret you just built a monster set up on yours. He can go mild on the build, but yeah you will fuck shit up and spend lots of money on a pug engine. Doesn't matter what you do... it will cost ya tons.

The fun is sooo worth it.

Unapproved Message (moderated automatically, please approve if not spam)

For fucks sake, it's a moped. The parts and information is all readily available, so it's possible to accomplish work the correct way. You guys make it sound like you're trying to work on an alien space craft. A variated gas trimmer, duck for cover!

Pusher, has a very valid point. Peugeot builds are EXPENSIVE. Even if you are not wanting to go that fast the parts add up because the French charge a tex for awesomeness. Truth my Grand Prix has a monster build on it currently, but it has also gone through several iterations to get to that point. To tell the truth, Im probably 4 grand deep in that bike alone when you add up the different kits, variators, pulleys, etc that have all been tried out.

Also, thanks to Jesse / Will from chicago I know have my hands on the origional Grand Prix front fairing and am currently making a mother mold to create replicas. The main body section is next.

But still... my advice is non of you motorcycle experience or car experience will translate to small two stroke engines like you think it will. Turning a wrench is the same, but tuning is a totally different ball game. Take the risk if you want but I can for see you dumping far to much money into a bike that will never run right and you will never get the money back out that you put in.

If you would be interested in a freshly powdercoated 103 in a box I would trade you for the rat-tastic grand prix.

The big fairing with the wind shield? I will be buying one for sure!

Brett Epp Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Also, thanks to Jesse / Will from chicago I know

> have my hands on the origional Grand Prix front

> fairing and am currently making a mother mold to

> create replicas.

Brett Epp Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But still... my advice is non of you motorcycle

> experience or car experience will translate to

> small two stroke engines like you think it will.

> Turning a wrench is the same, but tuning is a

> totally different ball game. Take the risk if you

> want but I can for see you dumping far to much

> money into a bike that will never run right and

> you will never get the money back out that you put

> in.

Okay, in your case, with the double engined bat and paving the way, you spent the money. That was your way of doing it and how you understood the problem solving adventure. It's possible he could message, call, or talk to people and get it done and not spend 4K, like you. Everyone is different, Brett. Take his advice like all others, with a grain of salt.

Then, you want to trade him a 103 for it...

put your gp boner away and let someone new step up to the plate. No one deserves to be blocked from doing what they want in the moped world.

Yes, that one. If I dont go to the cranks rally this weekend I should finish up my mother mold and start resin castings next week. The final product will be fiber glass, but since the origional fairing I have isn't perfect I first have to create a duplicate that I can then "repair" then do another mother mold before I can reproduce a high quality duplicate.

If anyone has the lower plastic pieces that go around the engine, I don't have a set and would like to make duplicates as well.

Truth I do have boners for Grand Prix's, but its only because I am a Batavus fan boy.

Peace's request its like the hundreds of other noobs that get on the forums and want a TSM, Magnum limited, or a Derbi Lugana. They are attracted to the visual appeal and dont consider the amount of work or time it can take to make it into what they want. I only spoke up on this post because it involves a ped that I am quite fond of.

In this case he actually has actually found a bike to buy; however, its condition might be a bit out of reach of what a new tuner is typically willing or able to sit down and figure out.

Im all for new people coming into the the moped community and learning to build and becoming part of the culture. I gladly help anyone who needs advice, especially on bikes and engines I have a vast amount of knowledge on. I just don't want to see a modle that their are less then 20 of in the US get molested by inexperienced hands.

Im not trying to rag on Peace, if you want it go for it, but please treat that bike with the care it deserves. If you need advice on kits or set-ups, please dont hesitate to contact me. But if its instant gratification you are seeking, another ped is where its at.

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Trade it for a Magnum, nobody cares if you fuck up a Magnum.

buy it, set it on fire, record video, post on MA

Do it! Well not what Nick said, but get the bike. Get it running, ask a friend to come help you. If he is a real friend he will help you out for a case of beer. Drink beer, work on bike, ride the bike, break the bike, fix the bike, ride the bike, wreck the bike, fix the bike... Rinse and repeat.

Like Bret I am over $3000 into a 103 build that now needs a complete new $1100 motor build (not counting the $300 CDI that I still have). That will put me in the $4k+ range of total cash spent on a Peugeot.

They are fun and can be fast, but even mild builds will test you and your wallet. A modded stocker will beg for more and drain your wallet like a stuck up bitch that is out of your league, but somehow you got her to go out with you. Sure there will be some really fun times like when I was blasting the Natchez Trace parkway this year in Nashville at 58 mph chasing Greg on his pug. 2 weeks later in Louisville, I need a new motor :(

You will break shit, you will seize many kits, you will probably buy Tomos reeds and a malossi SHA intake to go with your new Dellorto carb, then you will toss that shit in a box and buy a PHBG. Before long you are buying new cases, cranks (multiple), reed blocks, clutched varios, then ohh wait clutchless varios and a clutch pulley or 3, don't forget about all the $200 pipes either...

Yeah its fun if you can afford it. My Peugeot makes one run per year in Nashville. I spend the rest of the year buying new parts and learning where my tuning was fucked up.

Bat grand prix is a step thru with a transgender issue. Batavus? Peugeot? Step thru? Top tank? Nah just put the tank somewhere in the middle, throw some plastic on top of botched nose job. Yeah, I think brett just wants all these bikes to himself.

I AGREE WITH BRETT 500000000000%

I agree with mike 100%

I want it.

Can I Hazz?

If you put a Lifan on it you'll never have engine troubles.

Jaw , hack an m48 on there lol

Definitely will and thanks for the support and advice.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account