So after a couple years of hearing all this moped talk from a few friends and HNR'z members, and finally getting on one and blasting down chicago alleys i had to have one. So with a garage full mopeds some for sale, some project bikes i ended up purchasing a beat old 83' sachs general 5 star. It was pretty haggarad as the photo's will show, and not the most popular power plant as i was soon to find out, but i loved the lines and saw some potential for a new project.
So i got it home, signed up at mopedarmy, did a ton of research, and started tearing the bike down. I had a pretty good direction of where i wanted to go with the bike, color scheme and engine upgrades. So it came together pretty quickly. After completely stripping the bike down, i salvaged some parts and made a list of things to get. I chopped and grinded off all the tabs and brackets off the frame that wouldn't be in use. Dissambled the wheels down to bare rims and hubs. Then sent the frame, swing arm, rims and hubs off to the powder coater.
The gas tank rust was more than impressive. Shook about a 1/2 pound of rust out lol. I decieded to try the vinegar and salt combo outlined in the wiki. Surprisingly 4 gallons of vinegar and 2 boxes of morton salt later it was near mint again. Then stripped, primed, and painted the tank and front forks and headlamp bucket. Went with a distressed look for the side panels, tank, and head lamp. Alot of work for what looks like old worn paint lol. Hours of prep work and sanding, couple layers of primer, then multiple layers of white, and to top a few layers of flat black. Once everything was dry, wet sanded till the effect i wanted showed. Super smooth to the touch, no more rust, and modern protective paint. Finnally all the parts showed up from treats and 1977! Picked up the frame and wheels from the powder coater and set in on assembly.
Initially just threw the Athena kit on to make sure every thing fit together and ran properly. Then after a few miles stripped the engine back down and swapped the internals over to a clean case that was gasket matched on the transfer ports and did the same to the athena jug. Also grinded some material off the side of the cases and threw on a taller 12 tooth front sprocket. So the engine setup is an Athena 70cc kit, MLM 18mm intake, VM18 carb, tomos biturbo exhaust hacked to fit, and a frankenstien clutch with metal kevlar lined disks from kdm nick!
All together and pretty happy with my first ped' project. Major thanks to Dom of the HNR'z, KDM nick (for the amazing clutch disks) and Treatland and 1977 for the quick shipping.