rust in gas tank and sugestions...?

Ok.. before you few that told me to look in the tank for rust, i asked the dude and he was right. Once i got there i too "Looked" and didnt look bad then i stuck my finger in there and felt limited but existing rust. the motor is already off and i plan to remove the forks and both rims to inspect and re pack bearings. At that point i will have an easily moveable frame/tank. How should i address the rust? any good products you reccomend. i couldnt help but buy it.. might take a bit more work but $20 bucks. I get mineral spirits by the 5 gallon bucket, works wonders in rusty chains, and i mean rusty.. i know it would take some work but should i fill the bitch up and let it sit for a couple weeks, pull the cock out and let her drain and then rinse the hell out of it? sound like an ok start.?

Re: rust in gas tank and sugestions...?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot /

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Removing_rust_from_a_gas_tank

this is a super common issue with vintage mopeds. alot of options, i like a product like acid magic or CLR cuz they're easy to use and dispose of. for lots of info, use the search function.

If the rust is bad I always prefer the Kreem kit

And I assume for any treatment it is easiest to do with the frame mostly bare or are these some high TEC stuff that can work as a complete roller.... and I too like the cream method...if I'm lucky I might perform it tonight with the old lady...lol. and I really appreciate the info guys.I have intentions of flipping this ped inside out in a short period...I'll be sure to keep posted. :)

this method has always worked for me; very cost effective too.

Morgan.... that is simply genius... do to the fact you say it works (obviously or you wouldn't take the time to explain in a blog)... i would hope... and because i already have a gallon or two in the shed... hose and clamps... i like the way you use the tube as a gauge..nice... i use muratic acid to clean galvanized sheetstock before i solder it...!!!!! makes perfect sence. thanks!!!

i think mineral spirits are more "friendly" but i have protective gear to use the acid and it takes less time... i don't know y i didnt think of it as well.... it's just quite agressive but im sure it is efficient.

well that's not my blog but yeah I've used this method in several tanks, works well.

the acid is pretty aggressive but 30 minutes isn't all that long . . . breaks up the caked shit without eating your tank. Just make sure you plan your rinse strategy ahead of time... nothing more fun than a hose spewing out muriatic acid uncontrollably.

Good luck!

lol...now that ya put it that way... i apply it with a brush.. ummm yeah that would require an evacuation plan for sure...five gallon bucket..? after all mine is in plastic jugs to begin with...? think it would be cool to use a 5 gal pail?

"the works" .. works awesome.. just don't let the petock in while you use that stuff.

This is on the sachs right? The tank comes off so you can easily shake it around with some hardware/whatever to knock off any loose stuff and finish it off with the acid of your choice.

No... i let the sachs get bought out from under me over me asking 50 less and he never got back with me. He was a six hour round trip and 250 for the sachs... i need to be kicked in the sach... HARD. oh well i have a picture and it was a crush.. i may seek one simular but for now i have this... if you look real close you may see in the picture with out the seat that the left fork is tweaked a tad bit. But it is directly under the bottom clamp brace so i know i can straighten it... the front shocks both stil work fine. got it for $20 clams... like a soar peter... can't beat it..!

0720122019.jpg
0720122111a.jpg

Has anybody added a sealant such as the por 15 gas tank repair and sealant? Is this overkill?

Zeke Rigg /

i am lazy so i use the vinegar method. fill with vinegar then wait for a few days to a week and tah dah clean tank don't even need to take out the petcock and a gallon of vinegar is less than 3 $

dusty try ospho first (phosphoric acid)

if you do muratic you have to leave it for 2 days outside, for steel to regain oxygen molecules because muratic will take them out and weken steel.

hell just read this...this is ultimate guide:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=116373

ive got few pic of electrolises system ect there- "hugging corners"

Apple cider vinegar works wonders and is cheap!

Yes I get all the acid talk but what about the coatings ? They sound pretty good but has anyone experience with them?

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

i would never use a coating product like cream or por15.

someone ruined the right tank of my panhead with that crap.

chunks of it kept flaking off and clogging the line, and the tank still seeped fuel. maybe they did it wrong or whatever. i will never use it. right now i have the right tank blocked off and run it on the left tank till i find a replacement.

if it's rusty, clean it out as best you can and run a big filter.

if it leaks, find the hole and braze it. Done...

Anyone know an easy way to remove ALL of that crap from a tank so i can fix it the right way?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account